Wanted Youth 20 ga.

Recon

Hello all I have friend who is looking for a youth 20 ga. for his son. He has planned the father son hunt of a lifetime in SD before he leaves for Afghanistan and I told him I would post on here and see if someone might have one for a reasonable price. Thanks
Rich

Not sure on the price, but Gander Mtn. in Amarillo had a used Benelli Montefeltro Youth 20 on their sale rack; you might give them a call. I'm sure it's not cheap but it's a Benelli.

Hello all I have friend who is looking for a youth 20 ga. for his son. He has planned the father son hunt of a lifetime in SD before he leaves for Afghanistan and I told him I would post on here and see if someone might have one for a reasonable price. Thanks
Rich

I'm looking for a 20 ga youth for my grandson, and they're few and far between.

The best deals I've found are a new CZ semiauto youth at $440, and a nice used Rem 11-87 youth at $475. Academy Sports does not stock, but may be able to order a new Yildiz youth O/U @ $399.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=108601

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...guns&start=0&selectedSKU=10+YILDIZ+OU+SHOTGUN

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97725610.../REMINGTON_11_87_SPORTSMAN_YOUTH_20_GAUGE.htm

I'm beginning to think the best plan might be to buy a Rem 1100 LT-20, 26" barrel, new or used. You could find a youth stock for it or have a gunsmith shorten the adult stock. Later on, after he grows, it would be easy to add a spacer, or find another adult length stock.

The CZ and the Yildiz look OK and may be so, but the Rem 1100 is a known quantity, mighty fine gun.

Last edited:
Rich

Rich,

Can you give us some idea what he is looking to spend? I just looked on GunBroker.com and there are many youth shotguns listed. I would think a Remington 870 Youth model would make a great gun. Or even a Winchester 1300. Unless the youth is quite expereinced with a shotgun I would recommend a pump over a semi-auto. Good luck.

Apology

Gentlemen I wanted to apologize I posted that my friend was headed to Afghanistan, after talking to him I have found out this is not true. I wanted to apologize as this may have led some to offer up a gun that maybe they wouldn't have or even at a price that they may not have either way I felt it necessary to let you all know that I misspoke. He IS going to SD and needs a youth 20 ga. if anyone that has contacted me through PM is no longer interested in working with me/him I understand please except my sincere apology. My father taught me to always tell the truth no matter the cost!!

Recon,
Thanks for the info, being retired military I was going to make him a good deal but I am sure he does not want a single shot as other members have suggested some good ideas. thanks for being a straight shooter. :10sign:

Mossberg makes a great youth 20ga for less than $250 and when child out grows should be able to sell for price purchased. The safety is on the top which is a nice feature for a kid. Get one you will not regret. It was my 1st son's favorite gun until he out grew and now my younger son really likes.

youth guns

I have an extensive array of youth guns, due to a tireless search for suitable guns for my twin girls, now 13 years old. Of course they finally settled on something other than these. I have a 1300 winchester youth pump, a 1400 winchester auto youth, a remington 1100, and 1187 youth, and an 870 jr. all 20ga. anybody interested can pm me. ordinarily, I wouldn't post this here, but I see quite a few people looking.

I know some gun companys use to make a youth shotgun with an additional stock for when they , the kids, grow up. We were talking about something along these lines today at the Izaak Walton range in Co. Springs today. One of the guys was talking about buying a Remington 1100 and have the stock cut down and have the barrel cut down to about 20 inches and have briley install screw in chokes in to the barrel for the kids just starting off. If you ever watch a kid with a long barrel like 28 inches, l know you don't think that is long but for a 10 yr.. old 5 ft kid weighting 100 lbs it is long and heavy, and it seems as though they are always leaning back to compensate for the forward weight.
That might be an idea, buy a used shotgun, have it altered, than as the kid gets older either readjust to standard sizes, or buy him/her a different gun than you have a gun for the next kid in line or a grandkid or be the great guy who takes kids out to get them started in our great sport.

Didn't mean to be so long winded. :)

oldandnew,
Any of these guns would make a great started gun for any kid, I am sure you won't have trouble selling them. I had the same problem with my daughter until she shot my Browning 20 ga. White light, now it is no longer my gun but hers.She away going to college so I make sure it works by taking it on a quail hunt or two each year. What you do for kids.

I ended up with a pair of Ithaca flues doubles made about 1910, 2 1/2 inch chambers, and weigh 5.5 pounds, dimensions were an issue for us, they were very small as well, and grip size, length through the reciever, were all issues. glad you got your daughter into the game, mine now hunt every weekend, but I'm sure boys will end that soon enough.

I bought my son a Mossberg Youth Bantam 20g pump from Walmart this year. The price was only $220 I believe. Call around there stores to find one. Not all of them carry it. Really cheap works great with the safety on top and he loves it.

youth shotgun

I'd suggest a Browning micro lightning o/u shotgun. Great little gun with screw in chokes.

Back