wanted: Britt puppy

Danno

Hello all. I live in Michigan and I'm looking for a female Britt puppy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Danno, maybe if you gave a little bit of a discription of what you are looking for in a Brittany it would help. Inside dog/outside dog, small/large/average size, color, close worker or big runner, hunter and/or trial dog. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

I'm looking for a female and I don't have any color preference. I'll mainly be hunting grouse and Woodcock with an annual trip to the Dakota's for pheasant. I'll also be taking my Dad out to the local preserve shoot some not so wild birds. I'm tired of relying on my friends that have dogs to go hunting. This dog would live inside the house. I also have a friend of a friend that trains pointers and he will help me train her in exchange for some work. It's time to take the plunge.

First, congrats on selecting a Brittany as your bird dog. Great choice. I have had Brittanys for about 17 years and currently have 2 females. My dogs are family pets, indoor dogs and great hunters. I also run my youngest one in NSTRA field trials.

My advice in getting a new pup would be make sure you get the dog from a reputable breeder that breeds Brittanys for hunting. Stay away from what I call "backyard breeders". Find a breeder that is breeding to better the breed and is doing it right. It might cost you a little more up front but will be well woth it in the long run. I paid $750 on my last pup and she has been worth every penny, and more.

I do know of a breeder that has some nice dogs in the Green Bay, WI area. If you want I can find out if he has any pups at this time and get you his contact info. Just shoot me a PM.

Where are you located in Michigan?

Last edited:
Check out Auten's Britts. Longtime breeders of quality Brittanies. They have a website.

You might also ask this query on Michigan-Sportsman.com.

Breeder

If you are still looking for a Britt you can't go wrong with Marsmans Brittanys. He is in Edwardsburg Mich, about an hour from you. He's been raising dogs since the early 70's, he is very particular with the mating and etc. Check out his web site. I looked hard all over the US and Canada. was set on a breeder then I found John. What a pleasure and our Britt.... I wouldn't take a million for her.

Go to Yahoo groups and get on the "dual Brittany" list. Post the same question there. Pretty much all the heavy hitters in the Brittany world post on the dual list, and believe me, you will find the dog you are looking for from that list. 90% of the Pros and Amateurs along with the show people are there. It's basically the sounding board for the entire Brittany community.

Get a Brit from good lines, and I'd suggest trial lines. Don't let people scare you away from trial breeding because the dogs "run too much". You want that! You can always bring a dog in, it's much harder to push them out to hunt. Don't let people tell you they are too high strung or wild either. Those people don't have experience with trial Brits as house dogs and hunting dogs. Don't be afraid of back yard breeders either, pedigrees are WAY more important than the person who locks the dogs up. BTW... My Brit is one of those "crazy" trial Brits who don't make good house dogs or hunting dogs. She finished in the top 10 All Age Brittany's in the country last year and is currently ranked in the top 10 again this year. She's a great house dog when she's home and a wonderful foot hunting wild bird dog. She's also going to be bred by me, a back yard breeder with help from a Pro trainer, to one of the other top Brits in the country. Don't get a pup until you go to the dual list. They will be very, very helpful.

I think Danno found a pup from a pretty good breeder in Michigan.

I agree with jetjockey about getting a dog from trial lines. My last Brittany is from a long line of trial dogs with a Who's Who of Brittany names in her pedigree. Yes, she's a big runner when she needs to be but I can bring her in when I want. She's my NSTRA dog, my hunting dog and the probably the most laid back and loving dog around the house I've ever had.

jetjockey, can you post a link to that Yahoo site for the "Dual Brittanys"? I was unable to find it.

Dan, I just saw your post on the dual list. I see you are looking for a pup in the spring. With any luck, that's when we will be breeding my female.

Btw.. Take Ken up on his offer. There will be some really nice Brits up there to look at, and lots of breeders. You could even watch several braces from the wagon or maybe even from a horse. I'm sure someone will find a horse for you if you want to see what traditional field trials are all about, and the amateur gun Dog Nationals is a walking trial, so you could easily watch those braces. Good luck.

Back