Want to hunt SD next fall

Stearns

Hello to all I would like to go with my grandfather to SD next year He has been talking about it for years and keeps saying he would like to do it before it is to late.
So here is my question because off money constraints we will be limited to public hunting lands. Can we have a success full hunt this way? And any tips on what time of year or better locations would be greatly appretiated.

thanks
Stearns

Welcome to the UPH site. You may want to formally introduce yourself in the "Introductions" forum.

Yes, you can have a successful hunt on public land. This has been discussed in several other threads on this site if you want to search around. But myself and others can certainly offer you some tips.

I would suggest that you wait until mid November to come out. The pressure isn't as great by then. The state of SD publishes a Hunting Atlas that shows all the public areas in the state. You can have the state send you one. Since private land keeps getting harder to get permission to hunt on I hunt mostly public land myself. Hunting public land can be a hit and miss situation. I can go out and do very well one time and then go back to the same spot the next week and work hard to just see a few. But that's why they call it "hunting".

Good luck.

Hello to all I would like to go with my grandfather to SD next year He has been talking about it for years and keeps saying he would like to do it before it is to late.
So here is my question because off money constraints we will be limited to public hunting lands. Can we have a success full hunt this way? And any tips on what time of year or better locations would be greatly appretiated.

thanks
Stearns

It is worth the trip...guys on here are happy to help. Weather definitely comes into play ...but that is hunting luck as we all know. My only suggestion is dont get discouraged if you dont kill a lot of birds...and dont be afraid to drive and look around a bit. SD has a great amount of birds and public areas can get hit hard. But...if you find the minimal maintenance ROW's...you can find birds and do well...believe me..dont be afraid to walk a bit and do that. Feel free to pm me and I will tell you what I know. I will be glad to help.

Welcome to UPH, Why don't you put a write-up on yourself and meet the group? We have some great hunters here and I'm sure they will be happy to help.........Bob

Just wondering what the weather is like in November. It sounds like that is the time to go based on the post?

it depends. sometimes we get snow.. sometimes it could be just cold... and sometimes it could be snow and COLD out and windy.

i cant tell you precisily what the weather is gonna be like. majority of the time, its just 40's with no snow.. but lately, its been snowing and COLD.

Back