Walk in access?

Somebeach

Does Oklahoma have a walk in access program? If not, what public ground is there to hunt, meaning are there state lands, BLM, etc.? Can't seem to get the interactive map to work on the division of wildlife page.

No walk in program, but tons of public land. Go to www.wildlifedepartment.com
Black Kettle, Cooper, Fort Supply, and Packsaddle are all popular quail spots. Keep in mind much of the western part of the state is still in drought recovery. Bird numbers better but not great.

You can print maps from the ODWC website, but if you're going to make a trip to Oklahoma, I would buy the atlas. Many of those Western Oklahoma areas are pretty close together and it would be handy to have them all in one book.

I'm not sure what those areas are looking like this year. I would say they are definitely not "prime" with the severe drought we've experienced for the last few years. I do know that most areas are better than last year.

I looked into hunting those areas last year. After spending couple hours on the phone with an upland biologist I decided to go to Kansas instead. He told a dismal tale

I probably wouldn't spend too much gas this season. Not sure where you would be coming from...

Illinois. I got a buddy that is a waterfowl guide....hoping to do a combo hunt....hang out with him some and quail hunt my ass off at the same time...lol

I think you can kill some birds, especially on private land. I have not been out yet. Waiting on deer gun season to end.

Southwest had a better bird rebound than northwest but there is not as much public land down that way. Bring boots for the dogs. They will need them out west. Some places wont have burrs but many will. You'll be sorry if you don't have boots. I always liked Lewis boots out of Enid, Ok.

Drummkond Flats

I have hunted Drummond the last couple of years with limited success for both Pheasant and Quail. So I thought I would try it again this year. Well, it started out very foggy, if you remember Tuesday, December 3rd was not your typical Pheasant hunting day. I arrived at the Flats with my 8 yr. old Brittanty Lil' Babe, my Ithaca 300XL 12, and a lot of hope. It had been nearly a month before, that I met my brother Jim, who flew in from Florida, and I drove up to Pierre, SD (our home town as kids) and we met up with our cousin John, who still resides in Pierre, for an 8 day pheasant hunt. The first day, Mon. Oct 28th, Jim and I ended up with only two roosters, should of had my limit. But, the next 7 days we limited everyday (6 roosteys). It was a great hunt and arrived back in Okeene, Ok (home), Tuesday Nov. 5th, very satified. Now it was with anticipation that I would be back hunting Pheasants at Drummond Flats, America. Could hardly see more than 50 yards ahead, but knew that the scenting conditions would be good. I pulled into the parking space provided for hunters, unzipped the gun case, put 4 steel number 4's into the mag., secured the e-collar around Babe's neck and, put on her a blaze orange shell cover. Ready-to-Rock-an-Roll. Step out of the car, jacked a number four into the chamber and checked my watch, 7:43am. The cover is quite heavy because of the good rains this summer with the ponds having a lot of standing water. While driving into the Flats I saw no other hunters. Thought only the hard core ones would be out today. It was a feeling of Pride, knowing that little stands in the way of "real" Pheasant hunters. HA! Walked about a quarter of a mile, dog working well, but hands were freezing up, yet feeling like it was my day to score a limit of two. Sometimes lost babe in the fog and cover, yet the blaze orange helped in keeping an eye on her. Another 100 yds or so, Babe starts to "make game." now I knew the hunt was on. She work in front of me, than left, back right, as if the birds had been feeding in the area with a lot of scent, moving back behind me. I keep following her, knowing the bird was moving. When all of sudden the birds, yes birds, two mature roosters simultaneously rise into the air about 25 yards in front. I pulled my 12 to my shoulder and fired, the bird closest to my left floats down to the ground. I had only hit a few flight feathers, and instinctly knew it was a runner. But, Babe saw it come down also, and she was on it like a "Chicken on a June bug". Checked the watch, 8:00am, I felt empowered and invincible knowing I had killed my first Oklahoma pheasant of the year. Took the rooster placing it into my vest thinking, what a "great day to be alive" and Pheasant hunting at Drummond Flats. Walking another 50-75 feet and a rooster broke wild in front of me and not seen but Babe, because of her working to my right. You guessed it I dropped him like a "lead brick." Ran to the spot where it had come down, all the while call Babe to me. She arrived at the spot the same time I did, I told her dead bird and fetch. She got scene and took off, ahh, another runner. But, I and confidence she could trail and find it, as she is a veteran Pheasant and Quail hunter. I stayed there while she ran of of sight, and me still encouraging her to 'fetch, dead bird.' A few minutes later here she returned, you guessed it, with that willy rooster in her mouth. Looked at my watch, the time was, was, was, 8:04am. LIMIT..Best ever in Oklahoma, in such a short time. I'll be back!!
That my story and I'm sticking to it...
The saga will continue..

sounds like a good hunt to me....:thumbsup:

I'm still hoping to try OK this year. I've never quail hunted there before. thanks for the tip about the boots....

Back