Versatile Game Vest

Corndawg

In the market for a new game vest. Looking for something that can be worn in warm weather and that can be put over a jacket In Cold weather. I’m willing to spend money for a quality vest. Is there a vest out there that is a “must have”? Are there vests to stay away from?

If you do some looking on the forum there are lots of threads discussing this. I have had an Orvis the last couple years and happy with it. Lightweight for days of long walks and enough room to carry a good number of birds when I’m guiding. There are lots of other good options out there also though.

It's all what one needs, all day out away from the truck, short couple of hours from where you start. How much gear do you carry? There are vests for all of the above. I chose the Browning bird& lite strap vest and then made a few mods to it to suit my needs. Like post above says there's a lot of info on here about different types of vests. Good luck on your search.

i got a couple, what i call standard vests, a few years back. took them to a shoe repair guy and had him customize them with 2 water bottle pockets, one on each side, on the back corner(s)of the vest. i can now comfortably carry 2 liters (tall plastic one litter water bottles) of water for me and the dog. Lifesaver on those long hikes.

The water storage part is prolly the most fustrating part of a vest for me these days. If you just run one dog, I don't think its that big a deal. 2 at a time for several miles during early season -now it gets fustrating.

I just bought a great vest from Stone Creek Hounds https://www.stonecreekhounds.com/product-page/front-loading-pro-vest It has 2 water bottle pouches and is very well built, lifetime zipper warranty. Several years ago someone on this forum pointed me to their site for bibs. I bought a pair of them and have since had about 8 hunting buddies and several guides buy them after seeing mine. Super strong 420 denier nylon, water proof and warm and the zipper is long enough to slide them off over my boots and you can hose them off when they get muddied up. https://www.stonecreekhounds.com/product-page/tuff-n-dry-bibs

Anyway, if you haven't bought a vest yet it's worth taking a look.

Just received my Chief Upland vest. Its well designed and seems well made. With the molle system its easy to customize and lots of neat features and front loading. It could also make a great turkey vest. So far -- I'm impressed. Looked on Amazon for molle accessories and there is a bunch.

I too have been very happy with my Chief Upland vest. Got it last spring and so far this season it has been great. Really like how the back game bag opens up to carry more. Except that my kid has me carrying all his birds.

Back