Utah West Desert Chukar

Drew

This doesn’t really fit here but I thought someone on this forum might care. I’ve made several trips to north west Utah the the chukar numbers are higher than I’ve seen in 20 years of living in Utah. I am consistently getting up 100 + birds per trip. It is most enjoyable seeing those little devil birds die. It shows what a little timely moisture can do for chukar.

Very cool to hear, had something lar experience with sharptail and huns in MT this year. Hope to get to chukar country soon...wife watches video and "you'll die out there!!". So be it for the adventure!!

Very cool to hear, had something lar experience with sharptail and huns in MT this year. Hope to get to chukar country soon...wife watches video and "you'll die out there!!". So be it for the adventure!!
I hear that also. My answer is always the same. Die miserable in a nursing home or drop over while bird hunting. I hope someone finds my dog!

Funny story, the only reason that my current dog is a wirehaired Griffon is a google search for a "slow" "methodical" hunting dog. I realized that I'm not young anymore and needed a dog that might be young but hunts "old". Chasing after my lab was getting to be unpleasant.

Good post. In earlier days most years I hunted the NV chukar opener out of Elko. Probably have aged out of chukar hunting but I would probably go again if I knew of an area with birds where the risk of fractures from falling was minimal. Miss starting the Elko visits with dinner and a couple of picons at The Star.

As a relative flat lander, I can't wait for the opportunity to chase chukar. Hell the body was built to abuse! Agree with "hope someone finds my dog", and have already told the wife to ONLY look for dog!

This doesn’t really fit here but I thought someone on this forum might care. I’ve made several trips to north west Utah the the chukar numbers are higher than I’ve seen in 20 years of living in Utah. I am consistently getting up 100 + birds per trip. It is most enjoyable seeing those little devil birds die. It shows what a little timely moisture can do for chukar.
Chukar are on my bucket list. Probably never happen though. It’s best to probably hunt those with a friend along just in case.

I didn’t know that Utah had any chukar in numbers. I have a good friend who lives down south in St George I think it is. He said chukar? Never seen one lol.

Back