Upland Game in GA?

pnsballard

Going to be retiring to GA in next couple of years. I see there are pheasant hunting "plantations" there. Interesting there are zero posts in the GA forum. Anyone in here from GA?

I am from south GA. There are not any wild pheasants in GA and very few quail left. That is unless you have very good connections with the few plantations that still manage for wild birds. You can pay to hunt wild birds at a few places, but you better have deep pockets. On the other hand, plenty of places to hunt pen raised quail, but even that is getting expensive. During the boom years (2004-2006) everybody and their brother were starting "plantations", really just small preserves. Dove hunting is good and lasts from September to January. What part of GA are you looking to retire? My experiences are all from south GA. We do have good fishing and depending on where you live, close proximity to the coast for salt water fishing too.

I am from south GA. There are not any wild pheasants in GA and very few quail left. That is unless you have very good connections with the few plantations that still manage for wild birds. You can pay to hunt wild birds at a few places, but you better have deep pockets. On the other hand, plenty of places to hunt pen raised quail, but even that is getting expensive. During the boom years (2004-2006) everybody and their brother were starting "plantations", really just small preserves. Dove hunting is good and lasts from September to January. What part of GA are you looking to retire? My experiences are all from south GA. We do have good fishing and depending on where you live, close proximity to the coast for salt water fishing too.

how do you keep the gator's from eating your bird dogs, don't think i could stand that

cheers

Between the heat, gators, rattlesnakes and moccasins, it is hard to enjoy a hunt any time of the year. I have to really know the area before putting my lab in a pond around here. Have had gators grab ducks as soon as they hit the water. 20 degrees this morning, 75 by the weekend. They will be back out.

Up until about 20 years ago I used to be able to find 5 quail coveys in an afternoon. I haven't seen a wild quail in at least 10 years and I work 5-10 good bird dogs in the same area that used to have coveys every day.

There is no real upland bird hunting except for a brief woodcock anymore.

This state is a turkey, hog and deer hunting paradise but if you want to hunt upland birds you have to drive to Kansas or somewhere out there.

I wonder why I even keep bird dogs the expense of travel and the hassle is wearing thin.

I am trying to figure out how to get out west somewhere and wouldn't want to retire here if you are a bird dogger.

I am from Georgia and I echo the sentiment..North georgia doesn't have the gators so you can get into some "safer" waterfowling there. There are some gam farms that offer pheasant hunts but wild birds do not exist. Quail are tough to find all the QF is doing a good job of bringing back some solid public lands. The state does do a pretty good job of managing public lands for dove hunting. Great dove hunting opportunities exist.

Back