Upland Bibs

Mr Hyde

Ok gentlemen,
Looking for a pair of good upland Bibs anybody got suggesting, I looked at cabelas,ugly dog and Lion country thanks for the input

Hyde

Bibs

I used to hunt in bibs, best I used where carhart, reasonablly waterproof, durable and wear well. I tried the Browning/Pheasants Forever stuff, and I'm sorry to say it's junk. zippers are poor quality, and fabric not far behind. Filson's wear like iron,but are so hot and heavy you'll suffer. I went to chaps, last couple a years,haven't been sorry.

Bibs...too hot, too cumbersome

Not sure where you intend to wear bibs - even in cold weather, for me they are too cumbersome and heavy.

I too, wear chaps over long underwear or light pants. Or if it's very wet, rain pants over light khakis.

On top: shirt, sweater, light windbreaker, and shell vest. The layers dictate how much I wear. I find it's easier to peel off the layers vs bib overalls. One can move more freely with layers. Am sure many farmers will disagree with this approach as they typically like the overhaul/all approach.

Jon

I wore bibs and they were too cumbersome and heavy. Traded for some pants with briar proof legs and they are lot better for me. If you get bibs be sure to get some with zipper cuffs for easy removal. Bibs looked great in the pictures but just didn't have the comfort of pants.

I got some bib's many years ago. They were too hot for me. I now wear regular hunting pants and if it is really rough terrain, I put on chaps.........Bob

I used Cabela's Workwear Bibs all last season- zipper up leg ends, metal buttons on the sides, outside chest pockets sort of-

this field was full of those sand burr/boaresheads- bibs did nicely-
windy and cold just a pair of long underwear under- Cabela's vest over

quite satisfied- pretty rugged and not stiff

generally when wet I'll use Dry Plus- but not the bottoms- dang burrs would ruin them

I'm a big fan of the Cabelas brand bibs. I've had them for a few years now and they have held up very well. They are big enough that I can wear a couple layers underneath. I usually either wear a pair of athletic shorts or some long underwear. If its a cold December pheasant hunt i throw on a pair of sweatpants.

They maybe a little bit heavier than pants but I hate wearing a belt and hiking up my pants all the time so the bibs work great for me. The pockets on the front also come in handy for carrying things like a knife or my cell phone for emergencies since I hunt alone quite a bit.

I agree- and watching the Bargin Cave you can sometimes get some real deals

I use my Cabela's CC for quite a bit- build up those credits

Carhardtt's are the best IMO but I went away from bibs like many others. Just too hot unless you're hunting December on a very cold windy day.

i wore filson pants one year, in the cold and snow they did get stiff. i now where bibs, lightweight for early season and cabelas gortex for when it get cold. The gortex has held up very well and just a pair of shorts underneath no matter how cold it gets. I find bibs more comfortable, maybe that's because they let my beer have room to breathe :cheers:

There are some made in Tennesee called "pointer brand" they have regular jean farmer bibs and brown duck upland, I buy all my bibs there and wear bibs all the time in the fall and winter! I think the website is www.pointerbrand.com, I have even got a human on the phone there real easy and it was funny to hear her say "they make em downstairs" when u go to the site click on product catalog then hunting apparel.

I happen to have Carharts also, I would say they are equal, the carharts do seem a little heavier brown duck material wise, the briar guard areas are about equal, but overall very close in quality!

Mule brand bibs :10sign: will outlast the Carhartt & Pointers hands down, & at 1/2 the cost of the Filsons.Their website is http://www.mulehuntingclothes.com I have had all 3 & the mule bibs are the best. They are made by the Amish in Ohio. You won't feel the briers, thorns or anything thru them.

Mule brand bibs :10sign: will outlast the Carhartt & Pointers hands down, & at 1/2 the cost of the Filsons.Their website is http://www.mulehuntingclothes.com I have had all 3 & the mule bibs are the best. They are made by the Amish in Ohio. You won't feel the briers, thorns or anything thru them.

Thanx for the tip, I am always on the lookout for new bib sources, a man with my mid section gots to have bibs to wear!

Back