Upcoming Season

Lazer-UPH

UPH Guru
Alright who is geared up to rock out this season? What are you looking forward to the most? Anyone have and trips planned around the states or sticking close to home and running land around there?

Webguy and I have been hard at it this summer, and yes I popped in to check things from time to time but had alot going on in the world. For me it was a new baby girl in early May, to almost losing my white Lab to an infection (SPAY YOUR DOGS if you do not plan to breed them, I learned the 10x more expensive way) to projects and photography for PF and a few other clients we have been running non stop.

But I am looking forward to getting my neighbor or two out in the field, run the dogs, taking photos and showing others that it is not just the amount of birds shot. But of the experience and time spent with others enjoying this sport.

Well you should see alot more of me, I have been able to establish some sort of schedule. Sort of, depends on the little one. But I can not wait to see her in the field carrying a gun someday just like her mom, chasing birds with her pups!

Congratulations on your little one Lazer! Despite taking over our lives, they truly are a blessing:)

This fall/last fall; For me (due to the little ones;) I couldn't make it out to SD last year. This year is looking up though. My wife seems to be on board with me taking a short trip out there and I can't wait. God willing everything will work out:thumbsup:

Besides that, I always hunt IL and WI pheasants. A few areas are looking good. My IL and WI hunts are usually my "last minute" hunts were I get a short window away from my work and family to chase wild roosters.

P.S.--for anyone who cares, it looks like we will have a very very good duck season this fall. At least in this part of the Midwest.

I have a unique opportunity this year. North Carolina Deer in Sept. I will be undertaking my yearly North Dakota pheasant trip in November. Then when I get back to Georgia, Wild bobwhite/Woodcock, as I want to harvest just one more of each because I won't get the opportunity again.

I took a job in The Palouse area and in January, on the way, I will go back to my roots and hunt quail in AZ. Planned on 4 days in Patagonia for Mearns/Scalies, then will hunt my way up to Phoenix to visit family for a week and hunt as much as I can with my nephew for Gambel's and Pond jumping for Ducks.

If I can swing it, I may make it up to the NW in time for the last weekend of Chukar if the weather stays clear.

I don't think I will ever have this opportunity again but if it works out, may make a memorable year.

I have been shooting about once a week to help drop the birds I do find. The dogs have been running pretty hard to break in their paws.

I started running in June to get back in shape.

Getting the truck tuned up now as we speak with new hoses/brakes/fluids.

I don't have many weekends off in preparation for this move but it hopefully will be amazing:10sign:

Last edited:
It's hard for me to plan yet, with an eight thousand square foot home coming out of the ground right now.
But for sure:
Sage Grouse Trip in Wyoming with the camper
My Annual Pearl Harbor Day Pheasant hunt in Wyoming
More in my valley Sharptail Hunts than in the past
Local mountain grouse hunting
Late, late season Ducks and Geese here in the valley
I don't know if I have the guts to push my wife and boss for my annual Montana rooster trip...we will see.

Oh John 8000 square Feet is a piece of cake. Try a 24 story High rises LOl I had 50 cement tucks lined up ready to pour this am when I got to work at 3am. 50 more by the end of the day. LOL

Oh John 8000 square Feet is a piece of cake. Try a 24 story High rise LOl I had 50 cement tucks lined up ready to pour this am when I got to work at 3am. 50 more by the end of the day. LOL

I got about 85 loads of hot mix coming in tomorrow, at least it won't be too warm. Hopefully paving season ends before bird season starts. Once I figure out our paving schedule I'll be able to firm up some plans.:cheers:

:D7 coors lights, and training about 10 dogs today. All good.:thumbsup: Roosters will become dinner soon enough.:cheers:plans to hit the fields around home, and back to the IA farm for the first time in a few years. Should be fun.

Congrats on mini-lazer...lazer.

Also thanks to you and Web for the great work on the UGUIDE site.

Personally I have been busier than ever making The Pheasant Camp Lodge one of the best self-guided fair chase pheasant hunting destinations. It is close.

Also the wife and I will be more involved with on farm operations this fall with showing hunters around, lodge cleanup and other hospitable activities.

For sure will be a lot of Romans 1:20 going on this fall.

:cheers:

You guys that are building things, no envy here. :)
I spent 40 years building things, getting out of it was best part. It was a good way to make a living though, got the kids through college, got me a retirement.
I'm still in a much smaller way, the cattle business, this will probably be my last year with cattle.
A Winter home in Arizona is likely.

Speaking of hunting, I'm off to the native grasslands, badlands and Mountains for my annual early Sept trip. Week to 10 days.
I'll be back out there for the opening of pheasant season.
Elk and deer season opener in MT, late Oct.
Like always the pups will be along, there will be plenty of bird chasing.
The annual week before Thanksgiving combination hunt, depending on open tags.
I'm invited to ND for a Dec hunt, that would be difficult to turn down.

Good hunting ALL. And take pics! LOTS! We need off season activity on UPH.
:cheers:

hunting

locally I hunt dove more than just a little bit, pastor john and me will hunt dove for parts of 4 days in the Norton area, long way to go but there are dove there plus lots of field to run the dogs in, esp. his young one, in hopes they find and point a few pheasants and quail. gives me a chance to talk to farmer brown out there. ducks are on the menu first of oct. taking a kid to Wyoming on a pheasant hunt, then nov. 17 the pastor and me will head to Bismarck for 3 full days of looking for a place to hunt some pheasants. never been but this year we are locked into that area for whatever the reasons. next up will be turkey in Kansas with my muzzle loader and then Kansas pheasant and hopefully some quail, being an ol' fart has it's advantages as long as I can get around, late season will see me shooting a goose for dinner, one's enough. good luck to ya all

cheers

Congratulations on the little Lazer!

I made my motel reservations for Montana for October so it's getting real. That's what I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully break my 0 for 2 Montana pheasant streak. But I was up there scouting a couple months ago and saw plenty of roosters and some good land.

Spent last week fixing the truck and the weeknds fixing rotted wood in the camper. September I'll be taking the camper to Nebraska for grouse. Then in October it's pheasants. November and December I'm going to try to find some quail in southern Colorado.

My old pro is officially retired; his arthritis is too bad to run him on birds any more. So it's just me and the rookie. Hope everyone has a great season with lots of strong flushes and open fields. :cheers:

Last edited:
Been spending a lot of time getting everything ready: dogs, equipment, training, and fixing my old Jeep Cherokee, waiting on one part and it will be rock solid for the season.

Been taking the dogs out with pigeons and chukars and working with them utilizing a bird launcher. Haven't used one until this seasons and I am wondering how I got along without it. Will be going to a game farm for the first time next Wed, for more pre-season work.

spending some time today going through my gear. Monday is dove opener and heading to the the south near tucson for White wings. They upped the limit to 15 this year. going to be fun.:thumbsup:

spending some time today going through my gear. Monday is dove opener and heading to the the south near tucson for White wings. They upped the limit to 15 this year. going to be fun.:thumbsup:

My, how things have changed around my household:D Thanks of the heads up on dove season. I can't believe it's going to be September already!!!

Back