Until next year

It has been a fun year for me. This was Belle's 2nd season and she is progressing better than I would have ever expected.
I took a few days off this week and enjoyed some great weather, friends and hunts.
Tuesday I hunted some private land with a couple of farmer friends. We had a lot of wild flushes but just enough birds held tight to make Belle look like a professional. They both ended up shooting a couple of roosters a piece over Belle's points.
Wednesday I hunted with a family member on a 200 acre piece of private land and had a day I wont soon forget. We jumped 5 coveys with a total of around 100 birds. Most of them didn't hold real tight and we were in some thick hedge rows. We didn't bring a lot home but the experience was memorable.
This farm didn't have a lot of pheasants but the ones we did find held for points and topped the day off.

Saturday I took a friend, to a piece of private. Belle pointed 12 hens in a row in a small patch of cattails. It was a rush everytime :)
we finally got into some roosters on a filter strip that ran next to a drainage ditch.

We ended up with 4 birds that morning and got to see some really great dog work.
Today was brutal but I couldn't force myself to stay home.
We saw lots of hens and quite a few roosters. Everything held tight and no desire to fly in this weather. I really had to wait for all three of these roosters to gain some altitude before I could the trigger. I ended up with 3 old roosters so it was a very rewarding day, but way to cold!

I kept a detailed journal this year for the first time, I am exited to look back and compare this year to others in the future.

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great final week. I will give you credit for today, that's for sure. I only had about an hour and a half this morning to hunt at most before I had to leave for a family function. I let the dog out at 7:00 am and decided to pass after seeing it was 6 below and feeling it was about 20 below. Congrats on a nice season!

Beautiful pooch, long tail feathers and quail to boot... pics can't get much better than that. ;) I was planning an afternoon hunt yesterday as well but ended up in Minnesota with my oldest son watching his Seahawks steal one from the Vikings. That meant standing the entire game in those -20 to -30 "feels like" temps! lol... A hunt would have been warmer but had a great time with him before he heads back to school 1,000+ miles from home shortly. Glad to hear about the quail numbers. :thumbsup:

Back