Unguided hunt in SD

Hey everyone,

I am planning my first trip to SD in the fall, I am pumped to say the least. Maybe I have been living with my head in the sand, but I was blown away by the cost once I started my research. So here is my question or two:
1) How hard is it to hunt the public land areas? Is it super crowded?
2) Any suggestions on where to find a farmer, etc. that would charge a small lodging fee and access fee to hunt his private land? I saw a few but they were still like $35-$750 a day. I don't need a guide or dogs, just a good place to hunt.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I found a fee hunting operation that charged $150/day/gun for great land w/ lots of birds. I'd rather hunt public land than pay that amount for a one day hunt again. If/when I go back to SD, I'll probably get a few guys together, then auction off nearly everything I own :D and spring for a trip to one of UGUIDE's camps. We've all seen the videos and the prices are very reasonable based on the research I conducted when I planned my trip a couple of years back.

We saw several signs offering fee hunts as we drove through SD. Those operations don't necessarily have a reputation to uphold though, so my guess is that those opportunities are hit and miss. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've hunted SD the past 2 years and hunted public land for the most part. I think you will do just fine. We hunted game and waterfowl production areas and found plenty of birds in both.

Coming from Michigan and hunting some of the public land around here, the pressure is less out there. Our areas are smaller and not as much land available. Yes, there is plenty of hunters, but just keep looking for new areas to try and I think you will do well.

I do think the UGuide hunt is something that I would like to try. Not too expensive and from the videos, plenty of birds and great areas to hunt.

Good luck on your trip. I can't wait to get back out there myself.

Scott

Guys, thanks for the vote of confidence.

I think a freelancer can do just fine in SD via public and motels. I recommend it all the time.

There are at least 2 types of hunters that benefit from UGUIDE type trip:

1. The ones that don't have time to freelance like most of us here on the forum like to do or at least used to like to do (20 years in Iowa was enough for me)
2. and/or the ones that have put in their time freelancing and are looking for a different more consistent experience. More in line with what I would call a pheasant hunting vacation than a cross country tour.
3. I guess a 3rd might be those that might not be able to take time or cost in managing a private land pheasant haven but want to have that private exclusive managed freinds and family feel to it. It really is a cheap hunt when you look at the cost of private land ownership these days.

If your with a decent sized group and this is a once in a lifetime or once every 10-years sort of thing I would reccomend a reputable fee hunting operation like U-Guide. It can be a little pricey but remember to factor in what lodging, eating a lot of meals out and burning fuel can cost when freelancing. Also factor in the time saved not having to scout out productive parcels or the increased chance for success when not chasing hyper educated birds.

If you hunt solo and especially if you plan on making SD an annual or frequent trip then there is no time like the present to start the learning curve on freelancing public land. With good dogs, a good eye for cover and a good sense of timing (when to hunt different cover types) you will do fine. Just don't be dissappointed if you come up short of a limit some days. Probably takes 2-3 years to get good at the freelancing thing and to develop a good, dependable milk run of public parcels.

Some tips for freelancing.

Go mid-season. After the first couple weekends the fringe hunters disappear and leave the hunting to the diehards. In a typical year by mid-season the crops will be out or on their way out. Also improve the odds by hunting during the week if possible.

Stay away from the pheasant meccas of Winner, Chamberlain & Mitchell. They have relatively few areas for public access and because the population estimates are always high in these areas way too many hunters. I pay less attention the pheasant counts and more attention the amount of available public land to choose from. Anywhere east of the river in SD is going to have more than enough birds to keep your dogs busy. Good luck.

DB

I planned on doing the same thing as "flush em hard" What is the Aberdeen area like ??

I planned on doing the same thing as "flush em hard" What is the Aberdeen area like ??

I stayed there a couple times when my family came along. More options for motels (with pool etc), restaurants & shopping. Worked out better for the wife and kids but I was traveling as much as 1-hour or more each day to start hunting. With the bigger community comes more hunters and more pressure.

Bird numbers available public land etc is decent but I like to stay in smaller towns closer to my spots when going solo.

DB

I agree with alot of what has been said. I farm just south of Aberdeen and there are many acres of public hunting near there with lots of birds. I would also advise hunting during the week if you can as the weekend pressure is usually high. I'm sure you will be able to see lots of birds in this area but getting a shot may be a little harder.

Back