Two Miles Per

KBell

My son and I hunted in Webster and Wright counties today. Bagged three roosters. We saw four roosters and four hens. Walked 40 acre public hunting area and six miles of gas pipeline trenches.

Two roosters were this year's hatch. One was an old boy.

You Iowa boys know how demanding the up and down of the trenches can be. I know two men and one GSH pointer that will sleep well tonight.

It's only two miles per bird. I should be one fit individual by the end of this season.

HaHa PheasantAddict! I totally agree with you that one has to be fit to hunt pheasants. My emerging problem is that I might not be able to eat enough calories to survive if I keep burning them at this rate.:(

Have to admit some crown royal and coke is going down mighty easy as I am watching the Alabama vs. LSU game. Should switch to beer for more calories:):cheers:

P.S. Those nasty leg cramps are appearing as I recline. Asked my 20 year old how he was doing and he replied "I'm good." Ahh youth!:)

LSU game was awesome. I like watching two good defenses. I'm in good shape but the county I hunt in is out of birds. I will head north like everyone else in state and I'm going to try to get to SD somehow.

Friends of mine spent last three days in Spirit Lake area. Real dry up there. They were walking through cattail areas with no water in the public areas. The five of them would see 20 birds in a day of hunting. They averaged 3 to 4 birds per day.

I also enjoyed the defense of the game. I played safety in high school so I can appreciate the defensive work.

I would also like to go to the Dakotas or Nebraska in December.:) Let me know if you put something together. My son and I would be interested.

HaHa PheasantAddict! I totally agree with you that one has to be fit to hunt pheasants. My emerging problem is that I might not be able to eat enough calories to survive if I keep burning them at this rate.:(

Have to admit some crown royal and coke is going down mighty easy as I am watching the Alabama vs. LSU game. Should switch to beer for more calories:):cheers:

P.S. Those nasty leg cramps are appearing as I recline. Asked my 20 year old how he was doing and he replied "I'm good." Ahh youth!:)

Bet you liked the rematch of that game, too! Chance to consume more calories. Don't forget to figure in those "Dirt Road" calories.

Last edited:
Where we are heading

Birddog456,

You are correct in your assumption that I enjoyed that second game. My vote is always for a defensive performance as it is much harder to accomplish. Hats off to Alabama.

As for the dirt roads, I going to assume you haven't been to Iowa lately. Much of the habitat along these roads is gone as farmers have disked out to the road edge. In other cases, after appealing to the county the roads are gone completely.

Due to the weather, I have witnessed much in the way of habitat decline since December. High crop prices and our lack of snow have led to an "uptick" in the amount of tiling and removal of old homesites and idle ground. Don't take my word for it, ask any of the Iowa posters on our forum.

I was down in Van Buren County a couple weekends ago, checking on my property and helping a friend clear cedars for crp and didn't see any of what you are seeing. Then again, that area isn't as big of a crop area compared to yours.

VB County.....

Depends on where in Van Buren county you're looking---- in the first ten miles east of the jct of highways 1 and 16----- 12 (TWELVE!!) instances of tiling, waterway removal, fencerow piling, logging of ditches (getting them ready for the dozer!), and "general" cleanup of fallow areas. I took the time, and snapped the pictures!!!

It is Van Buren county- we pride ourselves with being a little "slower" down here than the rest of the state....but it is coming down here as well....

The more marginal the farmland...the longer it will take....but I think you'll see some real changes in the Van Buren county landscape if crop prices, land prices, and farm income continue to rise!

Back