Turtle valley

I have hunted it in past years but not this year. Seemed hard to hunt for some reason. Not a fan of the road running thru the middle of it either. Never really saw many guys hunting it either. Kind of surprising being so close to 43.

I've hunted there for probably 8 years. Pheasant numbers are much lower there since it was stocked the 2 seasons previous to this one.

One of the only spots with good wild pheasants in the area and they decided to stock it. :mad:

Last edited:
Did stocking lead to it getting pounded?

Yes the hunting pressure when it was stocked was significantly more than before. With stocking comes weekend warriors and My dogs found more than one dead hen.

5 or so years ago the place was unbelievable for southern Wi.

Yes the hunting pressure when it was stocked was significantly more than before. With stocking comes weekend warriors and My dogs found more than one dead hen.

5 or so years ago the place was unbelievable for southern Wi.

I remember when the stocking list came out and you immediately reached out pissed off. That discussion lead to us both calling the DNR office asking them to reconsider this decision but it didn't work and now the place just offers good memories of what was. Very disappointing to say the least.

I have seen that on other properties as well. First year the state owns it you run in to a significant amount of hens. After a few years of stocking, you no longer see hens, period. I always wondered if they were being shot accidentally. If you can't tell the difference between hen and rooster you should stay home.

Back