Turkey Opener NOT Delayed

BritChaser

I like the next month part. :D Anyone else going tom hunting? I'll be out at the happy hunting grounds for a zero dark-thirty set-up opening morning.

Other members have noted (see below) that outdoor activities are not banned under the governor's corona directive. Good news. Who else will be out at zero dark-thirty on opening morning.

Last edited:
Good luck to you! I have fishing on the brain really bad. I'm hoping to get out and catch the crappie still schooled up tight before they start thinking about spawning.

I'm hoping to get out and catch the crappie still schooled up tight before they start thinking about spawning.

That sounds like lots of fun. Good luck!

The flocks around home are starting to break up, and I’m seeing toms strutting in the fields a lot.

Things are kicking in to gear.

One happy kid!

I like the next month part. :D Anyone else going tom hunting? I'll be out at the happy hunting grounds for a zero dark-thirty set-up opening morning.

Update: Just learned that only Units 1 and 2 are open. Saw something about an application process for Unit 4.

Update 2: The statewide stay home order expires April 19th which delays the opener by four days.

The opener is the 6th for me and I don't think the stay at home order affects hunting, sheriffs officers are actually encouraging outdoor activities.

The opener is the 6th for me and I don't think the stay at home order affects hunting, sheriffs officers are actually encouraging outdoor activities.

I hope you're right about hunting being an exempted activity. It is, after all, food gathering.

Hunting and fishing is exempt.

https://governor.kansas.gov/governo...e-order-in-ongoing-effort-to-combat-covid-19/

Governors Statement said:
Under Executive Order 20-16, Kansans are directed to stay home unless performing one of the following essential activities:

Obtaining food, medicine and other household necessities;
Going to and from work at a business or organization performing an essential function as identified in the Kansas Essential Function Framework;
Seeking medical care;
Caring for children, family members or pets, or caring for a vulnerable person in another location;
Engaging in an outdoor activity, provided individuals maintain a distance of six feet from one another and abide by the 10-person limitation on gathering size.

I need to post some photos but I'm highly debating removing one of the "boys" that visit our business...ha - it really wouldn't be hunting per se (of course I'd buy a tag) but we have turkey's outside our business in Topeka pretty much all year - 5 Toms were steps outside my office door today and I can hear the boss Tom gobbling - I think 7 hens were up here eating.

We nicknamed one of them "Billy BadAss" last year and we could tell him by his broken fan - he was the head honcho for sure - I'm pretty sure he's still the head dude but he now has a perfect fan.

I know one of our residents would love to eat one so may thin out some of the competition if I buy a cross bow...

Some Non-Residents now have to self quarantine for 14 days before hunting.

Notice
Turkey Season: All 2020 spring seasons will continue as planned, including the spring turkey season. Hunters traveling from states listed on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s “Travel Quarantine List,” referenced here http://www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus, must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin. Refunds will be available for those no longer able to travel.

Some Non-Residents now have to self quarantine for 14 days before hunting.

Notice
Turkey Season: All 2020 spring seasons will continue as planned, including the spring turkey season. Hunters traveling from states listed on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s “Travel Quarantine List,” referenced here http://www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus, must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin. Refunds will be available for those no longer able to travel.

Excellent info. Thank you.

Just saw on another forum that nonresident turkey tags are no longer for sale. Didn’t say what to do about previously sold ones.

Hope they do the same with deer tags. Will be interesting to see what happens during pheasant season.

Never happen with deer, too much money exchanges hands up and down the line in the deer market. I'm guessing, and hopeful, this 'pandemic' is over by then.

Non-resident turkey tags that have been purchased can be returned for refund, but not required.

Back