Trick or Trout

RedNose

That heading is from am old Robin Williams skit, but it brought back fond memories of my ill spent youth and how it made me they way I am.

I did not grow up with the "American Nuclear" family, I grew up with the horse and buggy era because mom got divorced and we moved in with old country Swede-Finns, where I learned to speak Swedish and English simultaneously.

Ill spent youth is not really accurate but I was raised on sardines, pickled herring, venison, grouse, meat grandma picked out at the butchers (I can still remember the sweet smell of the cooler), fresh vegetables and fruit etc.

When I was given a "treat" it was sardines, pickled herring, oranges, apples, carrots, herring roe in the tube etc., candy was a holiday treat as was pop.

To this very day I can gross people out with what I eat, but in Scandinavian countries where I was fortunate enough to visit once I fit right in! BTW I still eat this way about 95% of the time. I relapse now and then for some chips, and a burger at a restaurant but usually I walk inside and order from a local dive where the people are friendly and the talk is local.

Any of you out there raised off of the old way and not on fast food and junk in a bag?

thanks for the short story but that being said i did not grow up like that. it does sound like a nice change from the fast paced self absorbed world we live in now. sadly i will take a pass on all the pickled nasty:thumbsup:. what is your age and where did you grow up (and not just so i can avoid your local eateries):D.:cheers:

I grew up in Yooperland, but even there I was not eating like most "city" kids. Our city was back then maybe 12,000 max. I forgot this dish. Home made yogurt from undrugged cows. Here is a link. Don't know if it tastes the same but the spelling is the same. http://nourishedkitchen.com/viili-piima-fil-mjolk/

Back