Training lab pup

I don't know of any drills specific to the here command besides d-bolting if the dog is collar conditioned. I work obedience on a check cord in increasing distracted environments. When i can bust loose 5-6 dogs in a field to play and I can recall the pup I know he's got it. Usually by this time the pup will also be collar conditioned.

Evan Graham does a here drill using 2 ropes and a post. 1 rope holds the dog back while the other pulls the dog in while collar pressure is applied. Its a rather high pressure method that I've never felt comfortable with nor have I felt I've needed.

I don't have any specific drills in mind but rewarding for good behaviors helps. If the dog does something you don't want it to - make sure it knows with a "bad dog" or "stop."

The more you reinforce the better it'll get.

Treat training with the dog on a long lead rope. Mix up treats and no treats so the dog doesn't know when the treat is coming. Always keep a young pup on lead to ensure you always have control. Here means here so don't ever give the command if you can not enforce it. Don't know how old the pup is but make training fun and do use heavy correction for a young puppy.

I think that a good attitude from the trainer relates to a good attitude and willingness to please from the dog. Dogs read people better than people can read dogs. Which is why many people struggle to train a dog the right way. The injection of your voice is very important. A dog can distinguish between sincere praise and an owner who just wants a compliant dog. It is a team game.

Last edited:
Back