Training day pics

goldeneye

Flint with the retrieve. I like watching this dog run so smooth

006-12.jpg

My new Chessy Pup. 10 weeks old

009-4.jpg

And we can't forget about the boxer. He needs help with his left hook still

014-3.jpg

Anyone else been doing anything fun with the pups?

Nice pics! That pup is only 10 weeks old? He looks huge!:eek: I've been getting my 2 pups out with mom and pops to learn where to find the quail but the birds are paired up already so these runs will stop soon even though its in a no hunting area. I don't want to bother my training birds.:thumbsup:

I just picked up some homers last week to start some training. Been working the dogs a little in my spare time.

I have been running the dogs a little, got them into a pheasant on Sunday.
Been doing some heel, and whoa on our walks.
John gave me some pigeons and in a month or so I should be able to train with them and have them home for me.

Oh, I have also been picking off ticks for fun as well :mad:

Nice pics! That pup is only 10 weeks old? He looks huge!:eek:

It's camara angle that makes her look so large.
She is close to 20 pounds. I was worried about size I was thinking the female would stay smaller but Chessies don't seem to come in Small only L or XL.

That's a fine looking dog Jeff. When he points do the springers look at him like "wtf is he doing?":D

My three males working on their patience and waiting for direction.

IMAG0407.jpg

My setter working a pigeon last weekend.

Jeff that point doesn't get any better.:thumbsup: I have a deep love for the long feathers on the tail of a setter.

My three males working on their patience and waiting for direction.

IMAG0407.jpg

I like the one one in the middle he looks like the type of dog that would like to lay on a porch with you while you drank beer.

It's camara angle that makes her look so large.
She is close to 20 pounds. I was worried about size I was thinking the female would stay smaller but Chessies don't seem to come in Small only L or XL.

Sure blame the camera angle I say she looks like an XXL... which is not a bad thing especially when she is retrieving geese.....she is a good looking pup Goldeneye congrats.

MJ

Zink looks so Awesome..your doing a good job with her. Love that Flint

My new English Setter female retrieving some chukar's and working some cover

Last edited:
I like the one one in the middle he looks like the type of dog that would like to lay on a porch with you while you drank beer.

Yep, that sounds about right.:cheers: That's my Lb (Little Boy), he was the runt of the litter, now about 11 months later at 52lbs he has 10lbs on dad and about 15+ on his "big brother".:eek:

Some really nice looking dogs.

I need to get my two setters out for a little work.
Bird season will be here before we know it, and I want thier manners to be first rate this season.

I have been having a blast with my pup. He turned 1 a few days ago and he is going to be underwhelmed running juniors. If things go right I may even get a senior title (and maybe a master pass???) before he turns 2......... If we are to crash and burn we might as well do it at full throttle.

Steve

Nice looking dog, OP. Where is she from?

I answered a ad about 1 English setter female and 1 Gordon Setter female for sale. The English setter is 11/2 years old and the Gordon is 21/2" both were full blood with papers. I went to look at them. We took them out of the kennel's and the English roared across the yard and put the binders on in full locked point on a pen of chickens. They were both told to stay after opening their kennel gates and they both sat eager to go but stayed until he released them. The English was a little thin and he said he was having trouble keeping weight on her but then told me he only feeding 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup at night. My concern also was that both dogs were kept outside all winter in uninsulated plastic barrels with the end cut out for a door. IMO, these kind of dogs are not outside dogs in the far north where it can get -30 -40 below zero at times. -20 is common place.

He was a great guy but I believe he just didn't have the time for the dogs. He had a new GSP male pup he was planning to try and train. He told me he paid $700 for the Gordon as a pup and $400 for the English. The English was also pick of the litter, we talked with the breeder. The Breeder asked if we would sell her back to them. Not a chance. He was asking $100 a piece for them with the papers. I took them both. The English came with papers registering through the Stud Book. I will also be registering her through AKC. The Gordon had it's AKC puppy application. He obviously had done nothing with the paper work. I have things in the works to get their papers straitened out. They have both been retrieving dead quail and chukars. Just started them on gun fire with a 22 handgun and rifle. Really working on socialization with other dogs and people. So far, they are doing outstanding.

Onpoint

Last edited:
Good for you, OP.

I can't believe that they stayed out in uninsulated houses. At least it wasn't a horrible winter.

Back