Tragic ending to a good hunt

Zeepo

Was hunting last week with 5 guys and 5 dogs and we scattered a covey down a grass draw. So one of the dogs came down and pointed a single in a small plum thicket about 30 ft in front of me and at the same time a hunter to my left steps on a single that is slow getting out of the grass and flies only about 2 ft off the ground. He shoots and kills the dog, he looks at me and asks if I saw the dog and I said yes. I ask him why did he shoot at a quail flying so low? He did not answer. He is a experienced hunter and had one of the dogs that was hunting with us.

Zeepo

Sickening. I feel terrible for both the dog owner and the shooter and of course the dog itself. This is one of my greatest fears when hunting with others and a large reason why I almost exclusively hunt solo.

Yikes, what a bad deal. Curious how all parties handled it?

The owner of the dog did not see it so he was more in shock, the shooter obviously was very shook up, apologetic and crying. At first I did not know she was dead as I ran to get the truck, it was when they came out from the draw that I found out she had passed away. She was 9 years old.

Zeepo

Hunting with friends and family can be a very fun thing, but the fear of gun safety and accidents like this is why I do 95% of my hunting by myself. Other than my son, I have no trust in hunting with others.

Dam what a heart breaker. I’ve seen a few accidents on the farm with dogs and the dreaded sickle bar. Feeling for all involved.

My dad shared a story with me when I started hunting that he accidentally shot one of his dogs shooting up hill as the dog levitated. Always put the fear in me. Mom nor sisters remember this story as true and I wonder if he made it up to make sure I understood the seriousness of gun and dog safety.

I never like it when getting into a covey with more than 2 of us in the field and we normally always just have one dog on the ground. Even pheasants don’t always get too high off the ground. I love sharing a hunt with someone, but don’t like a large group.

A lot said for those who only shoot birds under point. This is done more so for the dog’s behavior and reward, but now I see it even more so for it’s safety and others. I don’t always adhere to this rule, but hopefully a point taken for all of us to change or rethink our habits in the field.

I am sorry for all involved and prayers for healing.

Was hunting last week with 5 guys and 5 dogs and we scattered a covey down a grass draw. So one of the dogs came down and pointed a single in a small plum thicket about 30 ft in front of me and at the same time a hunter to my left steps on a single that is slow getting out of the grass and flies only about 2 ft off the ground. He shoots and kills the dog, he looks at me and asks if I saw the dog and I said yes. I ask him why did he shoot at a quail flying so low? He did not answer. He is a experienced hunter and had one of the dogs that was hunting with us.

Zeepo

Very tragic. I know this is hindsight but one rule should be stated before the hunt begins, especially with people you've never hunted with before. NO LOW BIRDS !! Sky around the bird and For heavens sake NO shooting a runner.

That shooter will live with that the rest of his life so I think that will be punishment enough. A step in the right direction in due time of course may to offer to replace the dog with a puppy.

A lot said for those who only shoot birds under point. This is done more so for the dog’s behavior and reward, but now I see it even more so for it’s safety and others. I don’t always adhere to this rule, but hopefully a point taken for all of us to change or rethink our habits in the field.

1000% agree. Going a step further, having a broke dog is also beneficial in terms of safety.

Regardless,
Thoughts and prayers for all of those involved. :(

One time I was teaching a guy from back East how to hunt. He was a good guy, but was from a big city. I told him about shooting low, and shooting around my dog, or me. He shot really close to my dog one time, and I never took that guy again.I feel sorry for this guy, but that's an unforgivable mistake. I would not be able to get over it. I had a dog who was killed by a truck, and it devastated me. You move on, but you don't forget.

Ugh-I feel sick as I read this! .... an experienced hunter.... and a dog owner... I’m just in shock- no excuse whatsoever. My prayers out to everyone involved.

I cannot imagine.... I would be devastated. Just reading that was tough. I feel bad for the hunter who shot the dog as well as the owner. Really tough deal all around.

Poor choice by the hunter; very sad for dog and dog owner. When I guide with my GSP's, we stress BLUE SKY...do not shoot until the bird is in the blue of the sky.

Sad to hear this. Accidents happen and I'm sure the shooter is very sorry about it. I have had one of my Brittany's shot, I have had one die in a freak accident breaking his neck. Accidents happen be safe out there.

One thing not mentioned yet, when hunting in groups (because it seems I generally have the only dog and group hunts involve friends who are out for social time and not hardcore hunting, but want to blast anything that moves) I always remind everybody that rabbits are off limits. Do not shoot at a rabbit, it's either Rooster or nothing.

One thing not mentioned yet, when hunting in groups (because it seems I generally have the only dog and group hunts involve friends who are out for social time and not hardcore hunting, but want to blast anything that moves) I always remind everybody that rabbits are off limits. Do not shoot at a rabbit, it's either Rooster or nothing.

I would never hunt with anyone out for a "Social Time". Just asking for trouble.

I knew a guy who was hunting in Montana, and wounded a Hungarian bird.His Brittney was chasing it, and it crossed a road, and was hit, and killed by a grain truck.The low bagger driving the truck, didn't even stop.He was devastated. I always think about that, when I get near a road.

Back