Tragedy averted with Technology

birddude

Yesterday on the way back to the truck I got a on point signal on my Garmin 45 yards ahead. When we got there, we saw that there was a large blowdown with two trees on top of each other. As we are assessing the situation, I lost signal on the Garmin about the same time we heard a muffled growl/whine coming from somewhere deep in the logs. My little wire pepper has an obsession with some furry little animals, mainly coons and opossums that I never really discouraged. So, we stood around trying to call her off like many times before, but she didn't come out. The blowdown was engulfed in briars, so I was not thrilled with going in to get her. After a few minutes though I started becoming concerned because we never heard another sound even after giving her a couple nicks and firing a shot. So, in we went, My buddy on one side me on the other. After maybe a half an hour we found or heard nothing. By this time, we are both starting to panic, as dark was quickly coming with heavy rain and dropping temps. on the way. The biggest tree was on top and hollow, so I tried reaching in but couldn't feel anything and although the hollow wasn't that big it was the only place I could see where she might be. We had literally been all over it looking calling, prodding and pulling. nothing. You wouldn't believe the scenarios that go through your mind at a time like this. Conibear, Coyote, strangled? It was now almost dark and we had to do something and I was not leaving until I found her dead or alive. We devised a plan. My buddy was going to walk out and drive to my house which was maybe 7 miles. bring back lights, chainsaws and my tractor with a loader. Then I had to call my wife and have her get some raingear and stuff ready. That was not a fun call. After the plan was moving, I sat there looking at the blowdown. The only place we hadn't looked was underneath the bottom log that was at a bit of an angel, not flat on the ground. I crawled on my stomach to it and saw that there was a void that had been dug out for a den of some kind. I could barely get my head in to look but it was to dark to see. That's when I remember that there was a light on my phone. It took me forever to find it, then somehow turned it off on the way in and had to crawl back out and find it again. At this point I really was thinking it was a body recovery if she was even in there. I had to stick my arm in first, then my head in and about 2.5 ft in was her tail waggling. She had wedged herself in on her side and was stuck. I was able to reach her back feet and after a couple try's, pulled her out. Made all is good calls and walked out. Got home and didn't have my receiver. Walked back in this morning after an inch of rain followed by 28 degree and there it was still on. Learned two lessons. I will never let a dog pursue fur again ever. I will never go to field without a good tracking collar. I was apprehensive about shelling out the 650.00 for the collar. How do you think I feel now? Without it we would have walked past her, and she would never be seen again.

Yesterday on the way back to the truck I got a on point signal on my Garmin 45 yards ahead. When we got there, we saw that there was a large blowdown with two trees on top of each other. As we are assessing the situation, I lost signal on the Garmin about the same time we heard a muffled growl/whine coming from somewhere deep in the logs. My little wire pepper has an obsession with some furry little animals, mainly coons and opossums that I never really discouraged. So, we stood around trying to call her off like many times before, but she didn't come out. The blowdown was engulfed in briars, so I was not thrilled with going in to get her. After a few minutes though I started becoming concerned because we never heard another sound even after giving her a couple nicks and firing a shot. So, in we went, My buddy on one side me on the other. After maybe a half an hour we found or heard nothing. By this time, we are both starting to panic, as dark was quickly coming with heavy rain and dropping temps. on the way. The biggest tree was on top and hollow, so I tried reaching in but couldn't feel anything and although the hollow wasn't that big it was the only place I could see where she might be. We had literally been all over it looking calling, prodding and pulling. nothing. You wouldn't believe the scenarios that go through your mind at a time like this. Conibear, Coyote, strangled? It was now almost dark and we had to do something and I was not leaving until I found her dead or alive. We devised a plan. My buddy was going to walk out and drive to my house which was maybe 7 miles. bring back lights, chainsaws and my tractor with a loader. Then I had to call my wife and have her get some raingear and stuff ready. That was not a fun call. After the plan was moving, I sat there looking at the blowdown. The only place we hadn't looked was underneath the bottom log that was at a bit of an angel, not flat on the ground. I crawled on my stomach to it and saw that there was a void that had been dug out for a den of some kind. I could barely get my head in to look but it was to dark to see. That's when I remember that there was a light on my phone. It took me forever to find it, then somehow turned it off on the way in and had to crawl back out and find it again. At this point I really was thinking it was a body recovery if she was even in there. I had to stick my arm in first, then my head in and about 2.5 ft in was her tail waggling. She had wedged herself in on her side and was stuck. I was able to reach her back feet and after a couple try's, pulled her out. Made all is good calls and walked out. Got home and didn't have my receiver. Walked back in this morning after an inch of rain followed by 28 degree and there it was still on. Learned two lessons. I will never let a dog pursue fur again ever. I will never go to field without a good tracking collar. I was apprehensive about shelling out the 650.00 for the collar. How do you think I feel now? Without it we would have walked past her, and she would never be seen again.
Thank God you found her! I've always been against e collars, but now I may get one!

I am glad that ended well! I "try" not to lose track of my dog, I only have one to keep track of, so it is doable 99% of the time. No GPS here. I could have just pushed the "locate" button on my Sport Dog system and listened for the screaming programed sound of choice in that situation. You were ready for a full scale recovery effort, I like your style on that!

Things change so fast… I’m glad everyone made it to the house!

Things change so fast… I’m glad everyone made it to the house!
Yes, it does. One minute I'm thinking about a cold brew and a warm fire. Next minute panic. Adrenalin flowing. Thinking about chainsaws, working all night, whether she was alive or will I kill her trying to get her out. Or was she really in there. One thing's for sure. I would have never found her if my Garmin hadn't pointed her out a few seconds before I lost signal.

I will never let a dog pursue fur again ever.
I've never allowed much of this with my dog either. I know some dogs that specifically seek out critters like this, but mine doesn't. And when she found one, I put a stop to that immediately knowing that if I didn't, it would continue in the future with potentially dire consequences. I'm out there to hunt pheasants, not raccoons or coyotes or possums or skunks, etc.

What kind of den do you think it was? Bear?

It's in the wirehair genes, some worse than others. One reason I never discouraged it is because with very few chances to find wild birds, they get bored and turn towards fur. It also added a little excitement to a long walk with no bid contacts. I do always deer and coyote break them as I didn't want the long dangerous deer chases and a coyote is big enough to really hurt a dog. Most of the fights were opossums so not long and no injuries. Although we do occasionally have a cougar come through and last year the first bear in a hundred years in Indiana. The den was probably coyote or a bobcat. Once I got Pepper out, I didn't crawl back in to have a look. No sense in pressing my luck at that time!!

Glad your story ended well! My dogs hunt close, and their recall is solid, but I have tossed around the idea of GPS because of the potential for scenarios just like yours.

Have gotten separated twice before I used e collars 2 times , and lost track of collar less retriever . If your dog is alive you at leAst nick them . Hopefully they will yelp and you on can track towards the sounds!

Have gotten separated twice before I used e collars 2 times , and lost track of collar less retriever . If your dog is alive you at leAst nick them . Hopefully they will yelp and you on can track towards the sounds!
I tried that. Neither dog is real hardheaded so I only need around a 6 setting to get there attention. I heard from my local dealer that Garmin is doing away with the TT15 mini. So, I bought another one. My dealer said he couldn't get one but of course Amazon had them. Like I said I will never go back to bells or beepers!

I love my Garmin PRO 550+ and mini collar. The ability to "see" where they are is important. I run a Lab, so he doesn't range far, but I want to know where he is in the thick stuff.

Last edited:
I also have debated about a gps e collar for many years and have somehow justified not needing one so far. This may put me over the top.
I have a Golden and Springer.
Im very glad your story ended well.

It's in the wirehair genes, some worse than others. One reason I never discouraged it is because with very few chances to find wild birds, they get bored and turn towards fur. It also added a little excitement to a long walk with no bid contacts. I do always deer and coyote break them as I didn't want the long dangerous deer chases and a coyote is big enough to really hurt a dog. Most of the fights were opossums so not long and no injuries. Although we do occasionally have a cougar come through and last year the first bear in a hundred years in Indiana. The den was probably coyote or a bobcat. Once I got Pepper out, I didn't crawl back in to have a look. No sense in pressing my luck at that time!!
No kidding! I had an encounter,up close and personal, with a bobcat!!

Don't forget her affinity for porcupines':ROFLMAO: Sorry Max!

Glad all ended well, good reason for GPS or collars with locate functions.

Don't forget her affinity for porcupines':ROFLMAO: Sorry Max!

Glad all ended well, good reason for GPS or collars with locate functions.
Oh boy, you had to bring that one up! That makes my face and wallet both hurt every time I think about it!

Reading this cemented the “need” for new collar. This should help with cattails and standing corn hunts with peace of mind.

Reading this cemented the “need” for new collar. This should help with cattails and standing corn hunts with peace of mind.
If you get the Garmin 550+, get one of their watches and you can use it to track the dog instead of needing to look at the transmitter all the time. I use the Instinct.

Back