Top Methods of Bonding with Puppy

Hello,

I picked up a pup on day 49 (7 weeks) and he's now 3 months old. Due to my busy work schedule, I've only been able to spend a few hours of quality time with him daily while other people tend to him throughout the day (and walk him).

That said, I want to make sure that we're bonding properly - I honestly dont quite know what to expect given the fact that he's my first puppy ever. He does seem to bond well with his daytime caretaker. When the person enters the room, he runs towards said person to play with such enthusiasm and joy making it difficult for me to not reflect on the relationship that I currently have with my own pup.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what activities we can get involved in to bond? I'm typically there for him during his lunch and afternoon walks - including nature exploration - along with informal retrieving drills and other fundamental training sessions on the training table.

Thank you.

I currently have a 7 week old lab pup. It sounds like your doing everything right. I think feeding them and playing with them are the best ways to bond with a pup. Just be as fun and entertaining as you can to the pup.

spend more time with him including feeding. You will become his primary caretaker eventually I assume and the passion he gives to the current caretaker will transition right over. Take him for a ride in a car/truck if he likes riding-if he tends to get sick then don't go for a long drive. Optimally have him next to you in the vehicle and go to the closest fast food drive through with him and get a cheeseburger and share it with him.

Let him sleep with you, and yes I am serious. Nothing is more effective and now you add 8 hours of time daily with him.

Let him sleep with you, and yes I am serious. Nothing is more effective and now you add 8 hours of time daily with him.

I agree, kind of. Maybe naps or a shorter period of time, and bring out a sleeping bag and pad for you and go to him. You can figure out later about sharing your bed. Primarily, because he's got stuff to do that can't wait for your 8-hour sleep.

Let him associate you with rubs and fun and laughter and play and (very light) discipline. It'll come. Dogs figure out who's in charge and adapt accordingly. He's just working out life right now.

Have fun. Good luck.

I am a very light sleeper and when the puppy starts fidgeting around you know to get up and carry him outside without delay LOL

on the other hand puppies sleep very soundly when allowed to snuggle up next to you so you don't have to listen to the crying at night

so in the big picture I actually get more sleep

I agree, kind of. Maybe naps or a shorter period of time, and bring out a sleeping bag and pad for you and go to him. You can figure out later about sharing your bed. Primarily, because he's got stuff to do that can't wait for your 8-hour sleep.

Let him associate you with rubs and fun and laughter and play and (very light) discipline. It'll come. Dogs figure out who's in charge and adapt accordingly. He's just working out life right now.

Have fun. Good luck.

I have to disagree with this. I am a firm believer in crate training. Your going to have to make time to be with the dog. Mine always go to work with me. Some days I might only would be able to let them out of the crate a couple times per day while at work but at least the dog is with me and I am the one doing the airing. Plus my students would also go air the dog for a few minutes and this is socialization. A young puppy needs to spend quality time with the owner but it also must spend time in the crate during crate training. If you are only able to let the dog out of the crate a couple times a day, I would opt for this verse letting someone else bond with your dog. This will sound harsh but these are things that a pet owner needs to consider before bringing home a new pet.

As far as crying at night, this will only last a couple of nights when properly crate training. Anytime you bring home a new puppy, the dog should be aired every couple of hours from the crate each night for the first week or 2. As the weeks go by the time in the crate before airing is extended.

What are you doing with a 3 month old puppy on a training table?

Last edited:
Yeah, Westks, you're probably right. I was thinking more bonding than initial discipline and bladder control and crate training.

But it'll happen.

Yeah, Westks, you're probably right. I was thinking more bonding than initial discipline and bladder control and crate training.

But it'll happen.

Thank you guys so much for the responses.

The little fellow is already fully potty trained and crate trained. He sleeps through the night and does not wake (or whine) until I wake him in the morning - around 6:45 - 7 AM.

I personally choose not to allow him on the furniture or my bed for hygiene reasons, but I like the idea of napping with him in sleeping bags whenever possible.

Perhaps I need to ease up on the corrections - he's incredibly "bity" during play and it gets out of hand. This is when I either pin him down, like his mother would, or hold his flaps/lips and make him bite himself. These are just a few methods to work on bite inhibition. Other people, who he is exposed to on a regular basis, simply let him bite away and allow him to continue with play. Perhaps I'm viewed as the villain here considering that ALL play sessions eventually lead to escalation (biting) and correction (from me).

As far as what I'm working on with the little guy on the training table - it's mostly simple stuff including clicker training. To teach him his name and to help him focus on the person calling him, I say his name and click when he makes eye contact, followed by giving him a treat. As time passes, I demand longer periods of eye contact (vs staring at the treats I'm holding) and reward him accordingly.
ie name - eye contact (click) - eye contact (click) - eye contact (click & treat). Same clicker method is used to desensitize him to being handled and grabbed. I pull ears (click if he doesnt bite me), grab legs (click), stroke torso (click) and give treat. Also doing the same to expose him to the manual nail clippers and the electric clipper (rotary tool), which is the devil to him. These tools are simply placed on the training table at all times.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for the responses.

The little fellow is already fully potty trained and crate trained. He sleeps through the night and does not wake (or whine) until I wake him in the morning - around 6:45 - 7 AM.

I personally choose not to allow him on the furniture or my bed for hygiene reasons, but I like the idea of napping with him in sleeping bags whenever possible.

Perhaps I need to ease up on the corrections - he's incredibly "bity" during play and it gets out of hand. This is when I either pin him down, like his mother would, or hold his flaps/lips and make him bite himself. These are just a few methods to work on bite inhibition. Other people, who he is exposed to on a regular basis, simply let him bite away and allow him to continue with play. Perhaps I'm viewed as the villain here considering that ALL play sessions eventually lead to escalation (biting) and correction (from me).

As far as what I'm working on with the little guy on the training table - it's mostly simple stuff including clicker training. To teach him his name and to help him focus on the person calling him, I say his name and click when he makes eye contact, followed by giving him a treat. As time passes, I demand longer periods of eye contact (vs staring at the treats I'm holding) and reward him accordingly.
ie name - eye contact (click) - eye contact (click) - eye contact (click & treat). Same clicker method is used to desensitize him to being handled and grabbed. I pull ears (click if he doesnt bite me), grab legs (click), stroke torso (click) and give treat. Also doing the same to expose him to the manual nail clippers and the electric clipper (rotary tool), which is the devil to him. These tools are simply placed on the training table at all times.

Well it sounds as if you have him on his way then. Other than training those who play with him.

Bonding

I take a nap with my dog almost every day and I read to her quite often. Dogs love to be read to. Keep it simple and short. Adventures of Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Clifford the Big Red Dog, are all some of Miya's favorites, although there are many more. Good luck with your new partner.

Hello,

I picked up a pup on day 49 (7 weeks) and he's now 3 months old. Due to my busy work schedule, I've only been able to spend a few hours of quality time with him daily while other people tend to him throughout the day (and walk him).

That said, I want to make sure that we're bonding properly - I honestly dont quite know what to expect given the fact that he's my first puppy ever. He does seem to bond well with his daytime caretaker. When the person enters the room, he runs towards said person to play with such enthusiasm and joy making it difficult for me to not reflect on the relationship that I currently have with my own pup.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what activities we can get involved in to bond? I'm typically there for him during his lunch and afternoon walks - including nature exploration - along with informal retrieving drills and other fundamental training sessions on the training table.

Thank you.

The best way to bond is to spend time together! There isn't any magic tricks. You bought a pup, make the time. Work less, sleep less, or give up another hobby it will be worth it in the end.

I take a nap with my dog almost every day and I read to her quite often. Dogs love to be read to. Keep it simple and short. Adventures of Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Clifford the Big Red Dog, are all some of Miya's favorites, although there are many more. Good luck with your new partner.

I had no idea that people actually read to their dogs. Looks like I'll be picking up a few kids' books asap to read to him while he chews on an antler.

The best way to bond is to spend time together! There isn't any magic tricks. You bought a pup, make the time. Work less, sleep less, or give up another hobby it will be worth it in the end.

Sound advice - sometimes it's as simple as spending more time with him. Thank you.

Bonding

I read a long time ago...it may have been in Gun Dog by Wol??? That you should spit in your dogs mouth. SERIOUS! I did it with every dog I've had since and it works! I swear it relates to the way dogs interact naturally. Licking each others nose and lips, smelling their mouths.

IT DOES NOT matter who feeds them! It ticks my wife off that she feeds him and gives him all kinds of treats and he likes me better. She also does not discipline him ( I do ) and she hates that also because she thinks he should like her more because she is NICE to him.

MOST IMPORTANT be the only one to take him hunting and work birds. If he loves that more then you are in!!!

My way is to raise up everything they are not supposed to chew. Then try to make sure they go potty outside, wear em out. And crash on the couch with them. Some belly rub time, and hope they don't p on you in the night LOL. Nothing like a bunk mate to socialize and bond.

Back