To sling or not to sling

Bob Peters

I bought a sling for one of my guns but rarely use it. I'm wondering what the split is from using vs. not using a sling.

I have slings on all my shotguns (loop sling for the Citori as I won't put swivels on it). That being said, I almost always take them off & stow them in my vest when hunting so I have it if needed...

Have slings. Nice when you don't have any cover to walk when returning to your truck or after your limit is filled. When I should be taking it off (when they are annoying) is when you are hunting in high-wind...they are wanting to wrap around the receiver, I find myself griping the sling against the forearm to keep it tight and from wrapping around the gun. We had plently of wind mid season here.

I have sling loops on mine but I take the sling off for bird hunting. I only use the sling on my shotgun turkey hunting.

Like Gim, I have slings on my rifles.

Waterfowl gun, sling!
Upland gun, no sling!
I like all my upland hunting buddies to have a sling on their gun, so it will be on their shoulder when the cock gets up!

No sling on the shotgun for me. I also don't have super far distances to walk, but from the advice of others, they do more to catch on habitat and catch on the receiver while shooting than they do to provide a reprieve during down times.

Given the pace and unknown flush characteristics of the pheasant, I personally am almost always at the ready with two hand on the gun or at least a carry position where I can snap into a mount PDQ.

No sling on the shotgun for me. I also don't have super far distances to walk, but from the advice of others, they do more to catch on habitat and catch on the receiver while shooting than they do to provide a reprieve during down times.

Given the pace and unknown flush characteristics of the pheasant, I personally am almost always at the ready with two hand on the gun or at least a carry position where I can snap into a mount PDQ.
Its impossible to be at port arms at all times.Slings are very user friendly.

Back