Time for a new one. Another lab or a bearded dog?

Lab Chaser

For the last couple years I've been saying it's time to get another pup. It finally caught up to me and I'm now dog-less the last half of the season with my 9 year old lab showing lameness in his hind legs. The first half of his life was 100% waterfowl hunting and retrieving doves. A move put us into pheasant and quail country and it's been about 50/50 waterfowl and upland the past 4 seasons. Even with zero formal upland training we were harvesting 75+ birds a year. About all a guy could ask for out of a $50 accidental breeding raised up by some dumb college kid. Part of me wants to stick with what I know but I've been strongly considering a GWP or WPG. Leaning a little more towards a WPG due to the slightly more laid back temperament and closer hunting that I'm used to. My only worry with a griff is warmer weather as I do a lot of dove hunting and there are many days during bird season that it reaches 60+. A few years down the road I plan to have both a lab and a pointer but the million dollar question is which one do I pick for right now?

Well I seen there is a GWP litter in the classified section. White also which would do better in the warm temperatures.

Pick the breeding that you like, not the breed. There are multiple breeds that would fit your loose criteria. Find a breeding with clearances from something that will handle both waterfowl and upland. If you have hunted with a close working lab find a close working pointer or whatever. I agree with Chestle, just remember that the cost of the pup is a minor part of the long range cost of the dog. Don't rush, ask opinions and then live with your choice even after they eat the sofa.

Go figure, but I vote for a lab...

This is why I start a new lab when the oldest active member of the Wrecking Crew is 6 or 7. That youngest dog will be at the beginning of it's career when the oldest is starting to decline. Always had two, it wasn't a conscious decision to expand the Crew to 4-5 members...

Go figure, but I vote for a lab...

This is why I start a new lab when the oldest active member of the Wrecking Crew is 6 or 7. That youngest dog will be at the beginning of it's career when the oldest is starting to decline. Always had two, it wasn't a conscious decision to expand the Crew to 4-5 members...
I also said that I always want two labs for the same reasons. Currently have five of them. When asked why, I always blame it on being confused when they switched to new math 🙂

I also said that I always want two labs for the same reasons. Currently have five of them. When asked why, I always blame it on being confused when they switched to new math 🙂
My wife and I both hunt and run agility. Standard rule for us is a new dog every 5 years, training one, trialing/hunting one in their prime and having an old warrior for a few short walks. Every so often one or two live till 14 or so and we end up with a whole mess of dogs. Have to count them as they go out the door in the morning.

I own both and won't give a recommendation on breed, I will however advise whatever you hunt species more of, or terrain type hardest should show you what will make a better choice.

Back