Tick control

dogrunner

Just wondering what everyone is using? Anyone using nexguard if so what is the going rate and are you happy with the results?

Started using Seresto collar last year, because I live in the woods and there are a lot of ticks here. The oil based stuff behind the neck always wore off before the month was out and ticks would attach. I was good all last warm season with one collar for the dog and one for the kids cat. A heart worm pill once a month and we are good to go.

Have tried Advantix but usually just inspect dogs fairly frequently. I work in the woods and briny more ticks home then the days do.... :eek:

I used and Nexgard last year with great success. I am using Bravecto this year as it protects against additional ticks. I will never go back to topicals, with my training schedule it is to hard to keep the dog dry for 24 hours. I never felt collars worked worth a damn.
PS ticks are thick around here already.

I've been using Frontline on my past two dogs with good success. I hadn't used any yet this year, but I found one on my cocker last weekend already - so the Frontline went on later that day. Other then that one - never had a tick on her after 4 years of hunting all year round.

Bravecto has changed my life! I can't recommend it enough. Easy to give (beefy tablet that dogs love to eat). Ticks die as soon as they bite so Lyme can't be transmitted (so no vaccine given for Lyme now). Also, if they drop off the dog once around the house they are dead and never at all engorged (so the wife's freak out factor is way lower!). One tablet every three months.

Seresto collars are not the same as the old hartz flea collars of years gone by.

Funny you say that. The old cheap Hartz collar has been all I have ever used on the 11 year old and have never had to take a tick off him and never seen a flea on him either. The young dog we are using the Seresto collar on him since he is in the house. According to buddy of mine that is vet surgeon the Seresto is the hot thing out there and of course free from him was the deciding factor for me to use. :)

Have used Nexgard for at least a couple years now, not a single tick nor flea on my Britt. It's so much easier than a topical and no mess. I tried Comfortis and it really messed with his stomach, he would lay around for a day or two and then come around, which led me to try Nexgard. Good luck.

Anybody actually ever have any experience with a dog infected with Lymes?

Was waiting until about April to put Frontline on my lab, sure enough found one attached just above his ear last night about the size of a pea. Had to have picked it up on our walk. Frontline went on right away. Of course you think the worst after you find one, and have been thinking about it non stop since last night!

Considering the collars and/or tablet I have been seeing by some on this thread.

TBIRD, never have dealt with it. I live in southwest MO and just give Nexgard tablet year round with heartguard. I've heard at least fleas are possible year round here depending on the winter temps and have dealt with fleas in the house before so prefer not to risk it! Additionally, last minute hunting trips to warmer areas are know to just happen so figure just keeping him on it is safer. Good luck!

Thanks guys, gonna check out the pill type, most of my dogs hate the frontline type stuff, my pointer freaks out when I put it on her. The shags don't like it much either.

I used Frontline for years, and had no problems with it. A couple years ago, my vet had me try Nexgard. It's worked just as well, with no issues.

I've only had to deal with Lyme's once. A few years ago, I forgot to treat my Lab before we went on a vacation fishing trip to northern Wisconsin. Sure enough, one evening I found a tick on him. The only one he's ever had. A few weeks after getting home, I took him to the vet for his annual exam and shots, and he tested positive for Lyme's. But, we caught it really early. My vet said it was the faintest positive read he's ever seen. He put my boy on a round or antibiotics, and he never showed any ill effects. Dodged a bullet there.

Anybody actually ever have any experience with a dog infected with Lymes?

Was waiting until about April to put Frontline on my lab, sure enough found one attached just above his ear last night about the size of a pea. Had to have picked it up on our walk. Frontline went on right away. Of course you think the worst after you find one, and have been thinking about it non stop since last night!

Considering the collars and/or tablet I have been seeing by some on this thread.

Yep. Lost a dog to Lymes about 12 years ago, he didn't exhibt symptoms till it was to late. My old timer (14 years old tomorrow) tests off the chart for Lymes and Anoplasmosis. He has been treated twice with Doxy. He exibited classic syptoms very early both times. No long term ill effects. Both dogs were vaccinated for lymes and wore collars. Since Frontline I have not had an issue.

If you live in the tick belt i would not fool around with collars. Frontline is a good product but is not as conveniant as Nexgard, or Bravecto. Cost wise they work out pretty similar.

A good rule of thumb is that ticks and robins show up about the same time, if anything ticks show uo a week or two earlier.

I hate applying or feeding pesticides to my dogs but the alternative is worse. Plus if you have cats the frontline transfer (canine) from incidental contact may kill them

Back