Thoughts?

Hard to believe this is soley focused on habitat improvement. some of the best WPA's we have hunted have been recently (past 2-5 years) hayed, taking out substantial habitat (depressing to see for us) . Observing all the habitat taken out over the past 4-5 years, this one is hard to digest. A more comprehensive report on this plan would help outdoorsmen & women understand the long term strategy here.

Hard to believe this is soley focused on habitat improvement. some of the best WPA's we have hunted have been recently (past 2-5 years) hayed, taking out substantial habitat (depressing to see for us) . Observing all the habitat taken out over the past 4-5 years, this one is hard to digest. A more comprehensive report on this plan would help outdoorsmen & women understand the long term strategy here.

From what I have seen the large tracts of hayed off WPA's will help facilitate farming the next year. Just helps "break" the ground.
I do believe there are phone numbers associated with the article. You could call them.

I should have read the article closer. this does seem to address sustaining long term habitat, which means short term habitat removal if warranted.
I'm sure everyone is concerned about habitat loss these days.............

I should have read the article closer. this does seem to address sustaining long term habitat, which means short term habitat removal if warranted.
I'm sure everyone is concerned about habitat loss these days.............

Yes habitat loss is the BIG problem. :( I keep adding acres (over 100 for this coming year) but I'm not getting as good of results as I had hoped for. MY problem as I see it is that I have become the flush little patch of good habitat surrounded by a bleak barren moonscape of total farming ground. I 'm trying a new approach in that i'm going to plant 75 acres of dense nesting cover in one chunk--maybe it will allow the wildlife an anchor point in this area. :)

There is no doubt that your efforts make a difference SDJIM. Always have enjoyed reading your posts on this site. Habitat preservation provides hope that future generations can enjoy the great experiences wild bird hunting has offered us...

Not sure what everyone else thinks but personally I would take a short term loss if it meant a long term gain in making the habitat sustainable for years to come.

This is all good. They know what they are doing. Smart move on their part placing signs around areas that are grazed/cropped informing the public on what's going on. Good for wildlife, ranchers, and farmers.

CREP went through the same thing. Many people were complaining about it. Today it's producing pheasants and a host of other wildlife.

Nick

Good article and good wildlife management. What they are doing is exactly how I would do it. Kill it, crop it and replant it.

The replant species knowledge is decades ahead of what they planted originally.

Will take minimum 5 years to have any huntable bird holding/producing cover.

They (Feds/State) should do a better job in communicating disruptions to the public so hunters don't show up to their honey hole and see a parking lot or crop stubble......

the saavy public lands hunter will pay very close attention to what specifically is being changed on the landscape and plan his routes accordingly. All is public info in the end but you may have to go "hunting" for it.

This all has been helpful, agree with short term pain for long term gain.
My fault for not reading more carefully, before responding.

Chris - Are you saying I can find on the SDFG website where they are allowing haying on WPA's, or is there another site where this info is contained? I have also seen trees and cover cleared from these WPA's, which held birds and did not make sense to me. A better understanding of the who/what/whys behind these decisions would be beneficial. My immediate reaction to those changes was negative, but perhaps there is a "master plan" behind it.

Thanks, Lee

This all has been helpful, agree with short term pain for long term gain.
My fault for not reading more carefully, before responding.

Chris - Are you saying I can find on the SDFG website where they are allowing haying on WPA's, or is there another site where this info is contained? I have also seen trees and cover cleared from these WPA's, which held birds and did not make sense to me. A better understanding of the who/what/whys behind these decisions would be beneficial. My immediate reaction to those changes was negative, but perhaps there is a "master plan" behind it.

Thanks, Lee

As far as I know there is not a website were you can go to acquire information on specific habitat management for a particular WPA. I would suggest you call the USFWS office that manages that WPA to get the specifics.

and they are just as likely to tell you to see it first hand closer to season and make your own assessment.....if what you see sucks, write it off and check back in 3-5 years! :eek:

it pays to keep notes on the areas visited so you don't waste time next season.

Agree that many WPAs have gone bad ... thistle, buckthorn, single cedars, are often popping up ...

I have a problem with how some of these plans are run.

In an era when nesting grasses are disappearing at an alarming rate (CRP losses), converting entire WPA land areas to crop land is somewhat disturbing ... especially on a 5 year plan.

There are a couple of large WPAs in ND where they are farming nearly every last acre except the wetlands ... no real grass buffer strips :eek: Lack of buffer strips is also seen on small WPAs being farmed too ... Come on now ... don't they know that grass buffer strips prevents the water from taking on too many chemicals ... algae blooms, etc... and buffer strips prevent silt intrusion from run offs.

I would argue that they could plant 120 - 160 acres at a time and rotate through over multi time periods ... leaving the remaining quarter-to-half section in grass.

Hopefully the US government is charging reasonable lease rates on these farmed acres.

Fire and grazing have shown to be effective management techniques too. On another ND WPA ... they had cattle in what appeared to be newly (1-2 year old) grass stand ... largely bluestem. The grassy area was largely dirt with clumps of grass starting up ... the cattle had "damaged" the soil during wet periods. :( My uncles grazed their land rather heavy (if not aggressive, but they never treated the land that way).

Never seen a sign at a single ND WPA explaining time table ...

They remove single tree rows because predators use them too effectively. Multi row winter cover is different and usually left alone to protect year around residents.

USF&WS is duck first.

Agree that many WPAs have gone bad ... thistle, buckthorn, single cedars, are often popping up ...

I have a problem with how some of these plans are run.

In an era when nesting grasses are disappearing at an alarming rate (CRP losses), converting entire WPA land areas to crop land is somewhat disturbing ... especially on a 5 year plan.

There are a couple of large WPAs in ND where they are farming nearly every last acre except the wetlands ... no real grass buffer strips :eek: Lack of buffer strips is also seen on small WPAs being farmed too ... Come on now ... don't they know that grass buffer strips prevents the water from taking on too many chemicals ... algae blooms, etc... and buffer strips prevent silt intrusion from run offs.

I would argue that they could plant 120 - 160 acres at a time and rotate through over multi time periods ... leaving the remaining quarter-to-half section in grass.

Hopefully the US government is charging reasonable lease rates on these farmed acres.

Fire and grazing have shown to be effective management techniques too. On another ND WPA ... they had cattle in what appeared to be newly (1-2 year old) grass stand ... largely bluestem. The grassy area was largely dirt with clumps of grass starting up ... the cattle had "damaged" the soil during wet periods. :( My uncles grazed their land rather heavy (if not aggressive, but they never treated the land that way).

Never seen a sign at a single ND WPA explaining time table ...

I would encourage you to call the office that manages the WPA's you are concerned about and report back here on what you find. You have good questions that I bet they can answer for ya.

Back