Thinking of sending my pup to a trainer

George

Like the title says, I am thinking of sending my pup to a trainer. I want to get the most out of my dog, and with a busy work schedule its hard to get him on birds every week. I have a pointing lab and I am located outside of Chicago. I was doing research and came across Steady on Point run by Alan Ott. Was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before?

On his web site under referrals, all of them have their email address posted with their statements, that would be a good place to start. Write down what you want to ask that way you wont have to go back and forth with a lot of emails. Best of luck.

Best thing to do is to go spend a day with the trainer and see how he runs his program. Have him show you a retriever and what the dog is doing and where it is in the program. Discuss what you expect out of a dog and his timeline for training. Most trainers have a minimum of 3 months. During that time you are going to get the basics. Obedience, force fetch, and collar conditioning. What methods does he employ? Most bird work will come after the basics. What type of dog food does he feed, heart worm preventative, what vet does he use? How many sessions a day and how many days per week does your dog receive in training? Does he charge extra for birds? Just a few questions to get you started. I would think at a minimum, most quality trainers are going to charge you $1800 for a 3 month basic training program.

I know Alan. Good guy, good dog trainer.;)

I'm in the western suburbs. I've been exchanging messages with the trainer, and plan on setting up an appointment so he can evaluate Gus and customize a program. So the training would be 8 weeks long and cost $2,200 plus $10 for each bird killed over the dog. Do you guys think the prices are comparable to other reputable trainers?

That is extremely high! $1100 per month for only 2 months. You can't get obedience, force fetch, and collar conditioning done in 8 weeks. K and L http://www.kandlkennels.com/ are probably the top pointing lab kennel in the country and they charge $800 per month. Plus they have more experience. It is really hard for us to give you advice because you have been so vague in what you want to accomplish with your dog.

I'm in the western suburbs. I've been exchanging messages with the trainer, and plan on setting up an appointment so he can evaluate Gus and customize a program. So the training would be 8 weeks long and cost $2,200 plus $10 for each bird killed over the dog. Do you guys think the prices are comparable to other reputable trainers?

That is extremely high by Midwest standards. $600 - $800 is the norm for the best trainers in MN. I'm not sure but I don't think Stawski, Farmer etc even charge that much. $10 a bird is fair.

Yea I was thinking it was a little high. The only reason I was really looking at them is convenience in travel time compared to other places. I'm basically looking to get an end product of being able to hunt with my dog. It sounds bad but I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to ruin the dog by screwing anything up. Ideally have the pup collar conditioned and conditioned to the gun. Bring out the instincts of the dog and retrieve birds. I figure the more advance aspects I can follow a book. I'll have to email K&L.

I lived in Chicago for 43 years. Stuff in and near the City is more expensive--for lots of reasons, from property tax, wages, income taxes, and all the fees and accreditations that trainers have to achieve.

Keep looking, but your region is not the heartland of pheasant hunting, and there will be fewer trainers because there is less of a demand.

Best wishes for you and your pup.:thumbsup:

Yea I was thinking it was a little high. The only reason I was really looking at them is convenience in travel time compared to other places. I'm basically looking to get an end product of being able to hunt with my dog. It sounds bad but I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to ruin the dog by screwing anything up. Ideally have the pup collar conditioned and conditioned to the gun. Bring out the instincts of the dog and retrieve birds. I figure the more advance aspects I can follow a book. I'll have to email K&L.

Collar conditioning comes after obedience and force fetch. So does most of the bird work.

It is important to be near your trainer, the more time you can spend working with the trainer the smoother the transition will be when you bring the dog home. Plus you will learn a lot.

The general order of training usually is:
Bird intro (I do this as soon as the pup comes home from breeder)
Bird/gun intro (this step might take a couple days or a couple weeks)
Basic obedience (never ends) and simple marks.
FF (after adult teeth are in)
Collar Conditioning (FF and CC might be interchanged as some dogs will be ready for CC before they have adult teeth)
At this point handling drills are started for waterfowl dogs, HT, and FT dogs. For a upland gundog know would be the time to start quartering drills, and trailing.
Force to pile
T and TT
Swim by

I'm sure I missed a couple steps but this is the general order. While all this goes on marking skills are gradually increased with multiple marks and cold blinds the end goal

I would like to weigh in on the monthly rate issue. I do not believe $1100 a month is too high but it is higher than the going rate for sure.
When you figure it is $20 a day to board your dog at a doggie motel ($600 a month) you basically are paying $200 above that a month for all the training you are expecting. Unfortunately I know of some trainers charging less than even the going rate of $800. If you do the math it won't seem that $1100 is that bad. Just saying.

$1100 is outrageous. The best trainers in the country don't charge anywhere near that. Plus the fact that you won't have a dog that is ready to hunt in only 8 weeks. Look elsewhere for a trainer please. Most reasonable trainers charge $600 per month. If you think that is $1100 isn't high, well, here's your sign!

I would like to weigh in on the monthly rate issue. I do not believe $1100 a month is too high but it is higher than the going rate for sure.
When you figure it is $20 a day to board your dog at a doggie motel ($600 a month) you basically are paying $200 above that a month for all the training you are expecting. Unfortunately I know of some trainers charging less than even the going rate of $800. If you do the math it won't seem that $1100 is that bad. Just saying.

I doubt there is a trainer/boarding kennel that doesn't feel that boarding is the money maker!

Well Steady on point is the closest trainer, so its either pay the $2,200 for 2 months of training or get the training done at K&l. I'm waiting on a return call so I can compare the two. Only negative about K&L is its a 7 hour drive.

I would expect the best in the country for that price but I would pay it if it was exactly what I was looking for.

Well Steady on point is the closest trainer, so its either pay the $2,200 for 2 months of training or get the training done at K&l. I'm waiting on a return call so I can compare the two. Only negative about K&L is its a 7 hour drive.

What are you expecting to get in an 8 week program? Have you discussed a basic training program with this trainer that consists of obedience, force fetch, and collar conditioning? You have never stated what it is that you wish to accomplish.

If I remember right you are located near Chicago. You need to look a little harder as there's a lot of very competent trainers located just north of you in the horricon marsh area of Wisconsin.
Heck the arguably the best trainer in the nation if not the world is located there. Now I doubt You will be able to get your dog with my Mike Lardy and Ray Voight. There are still lots of options.
Seven hours from Chicago get you awfully close to Central Minnesota where there's many many talented traders

Back