There seems to be a change in the air?

Rogue Hunter

Last week I started a thread--over the the main forum--on one of my favorite gun stores, and how, when I stopped there last week, the store had pretty much eliminated their used gun inventory. Now, this A.M., I went to visit another of my favorite, "out of the way", gun stores (The General Store, in Osakis, Mn), and found the same thing has happened. This second place used to also have a hundred or so used guns a person could look through, and, have pretty much eliminated their used gun section (down to a couple dozen). Perhaps the older generation of gun store owner's are selling out to new people that think the last word in guns is handguns and AR type weapons? Is this also happening in other states, as well. Is there issues in the used gun trade that would entice new owners to get out of the used gun trade?

As someone who works for a firearms manufacture it is due to several factors as why you see your stores carrying more handguns, MSR, and PDW guns. it is simple as those p[products are what people are wanting. Also look at the time of the year as well. I know a of of our dealers don't want shotguns and rifles to sit around when those funds can be used to buy product that turns quickly at the shop like handguns. That said, the industry has slowed down some so you will see it get back to some sort of normal stock levels. Most dealers also wait to have field shotguns and rifles inventory come in about June. Just out of curiosity what are type of firearm were you looking for?

Kick'em Up!

As someone who works for a firearms manufacture it is due to several factors as why you see your stores carrying more handguns, MSR, and PDW guns. it is simple as those p[products are what people are wanting. Also look at the time of the year as well. I know a of of our dealers don't want shotguns and rifles to sit around when those funds can be used to buy product that turns quickly at the shop like handguns. That said, the industry has slowed down some so you will see it get back to some sort of normal stock levels. Most dealers also wait to have field shotguns and rifles inventory come in about June. Just out of curiosity what are type of firearm were you looking for?

Kick'em Up!
I like to look through the shotguns, rifles, and handguns...in that order. Mostly shotguns, though. It's just strange that stores that usually had used gun inventories of 100 plus items, all of a sudden have reduced or totally eliminated their used, long gun inventories.

As someone who works for a firearms manufacture it is due to several factors as why you see your stores carrying more handguns, MSR, and PDW guns. It is simple as those products are what people are wanting.

Kick'em Up!
Not so much arguing here, as typing out what is bouncing around in my brain...

I'm curious though, is that really the case, they're only selling those handguns, MSR and PDW guns because that is what people are wanting? If all Wal-Mart and Academy and the likes offer are entry level, bead blasted metal with plastic or 'hardwood' stocks, tacticool stuff and thats all there is to buy, that is what the average Joe Consumer buys, simply because they don't have any other options.

You work for CZ right? In my mind, they got rid of two of their best (452 (and then 455) and the 550 centerfires) to go to the 457 and whatever abomination of a centerfire they have right now with its tacticool Euro styling. I'm sure everything about them is cheaper to make, but in my eyes, they look hideous compared to the classic lines that the 452 and 550 had. Look at prices used specimens of these fetch on gunbroker and gunsinternational now. Maybe I'm all washed up and none of them sold for beans prior to their discontinuation. Take a 550 and put it on a diet and you'd have something to brag about in my eyes.

Of course, I realize they do a ton of market research and follow the trends etc, so maybe I'm just way off base. In my mind though, if wood/polished blue aren't offered, then of course people are buying the cheaper entry level stuff.

I also realize that the profit margin on that cheaply finished stuff is likely considerably higher than traditional stuff, so certain that plays a big part in it as well.

I'm lucky to have a local shop to me (in a True Value hardware store in a town with no stoplight) that has a good selection of the guns I'm interested in. Friday he had 17 Ruger number 1s, a dozen+ Model 70 Featherweights (standard grade) plus probably a dozen Supergrade 70's (regular and French Walnut), Fausti DEA shotgun (too bad they're only single trigger) and a couple dozen of the various case hardened recent release Winchester lever guns. I have to believe he is selling these, or he wouldn't be carrying them in his inventory, and his inventory has changed every time I'm in there about once a month or so.

I'm lucky to have a local shop to me (in a True Value hardware store in a town with no stoplight) that has a good selection of the guns I'm interested in. Friday he had 17 Ruger number 1s, a dozen+ Model 70 Featherweights (standard grade) plus probably a dozen Supergrade 70's (regular and French Walnut), Fausti DEA shotgun (too bad they're only single trigger) and a couple dozen of the various case hardened recent release Winchester lever guns. I have to believe he is selling these, or he wouldn't be carrying them in his inventory, and his inventory has changed every time I'm in there about once a month or so.
Would you PM me with the location of this store...I feel a road trip may be in order! LOL

Not so much arguing here, as typing out what is bouncing around in my brain...

I'm curious though, is that really the case, they're only selling those handguns, MSR and PDW guns because that is what people are wanting? If all Wal-Mart and Academy and the likes offer are entry level, bead blasted metal with plastic or 'hardwood' stocks, tacticool stuff and thats all there is to buy, that is what the average Joe Consumer buys, simply because they don't have any other options.

You work for CZ right? In my mind, they got rid of two of their best (452 (and then 455) and the 550 centerfires) to go to the 457 and whatever abomination of a centerfire they have right now with its tacticool Euro styling. I'm sure everything about them is cheaper to make, but in my eyes, they look hideous compared to the classic lines that the 452 and 550 had. Look at prices used specimens of these fetch on gunbroker and gunsinternational now. Maybe I'm all washed up and none of them sold for beans prior to their discontinuation. Take a 550 and put it on a diet and you'd have something to brag about in my eyes.

Of course, I realize they do a ton of market research and follow the trends etc, so maybe I'm just way off base. In my mind though, if wood/polished blue aren't offered, then of course people are buying the cheaper entry level stuff.

I also realize that the profit margin on that cheaply finished stuff is likely considerably higher than traditional stuff, so certain that plays a big part in it as well.

First off let me start by saying thanks for knowing our our guns. Here is the answers to some of your questions. As for the 452 and 455 rimfires as those two were great but had functionality flaws that we wanted to correct with the 457 series. First the both throw was 90% that limited you to the optic you could use and still work the action. Second was the 452 & 455 had safeties that were not push forward to fire which is big as most all other rimfires on the market are push forward to fire safety guns and uniformity when training youth shooters is a must. That being said, We generally stay backordered past production on every SKU CZ offer in our rimfire guns. That is why we are one of the most used guns in NRL and PRS rimfire competitions.

I do however agree with you abut the 550 & 527 being classic Mauser action control feed guns. I have several in my safe now, but they were costly to build and the machining tools were wearing out. So the CZ factory decided it was time to update the equipment and manufacturing process as sales of the 557 and 550 platform were diminishing.
That said, we are a Europe based company so naturally their style is reflected in the products they make. Now I am the National Sales Manager and on NPD team for CZ-USA. You are correct and by all means a classic walnut and blued guns is what the American market needs not another ploy stock $399 with a scope gun., That fact is modern manufacturing has improved and most centerfire bolt guns are now shooting MOA at 100yds which is tough to compete against in today market when you gun come in at $1000. Most deer hunters are not serious hunters so the buy a cheap gun and use it for a week or two a year. The new CZ 600 platform just got release in some standard Euro models for the US but there are more models in the works now.

Also you are correct as far as Gunbroker is concerned. The 550 and 527 are now going for a premium price now that they are discontinued and now a lot of folks who didn't buy them when in production now want them. Heck I have a NIB CZ 453 (limited model between the 452 and 455 with a set trigger) that will fetch upwards for $1400.00 on GB now and I am tempted to sell myself.

Unfortunately we are damned if we do and damned if we don't as a manufacture with respect to changing models. Some love new models that come out and then others think we should settle with the status quo and don't change a thing.

I do however appreciate your feedback and I hope some future models may be more attractive to you.

Thanks
Kick'em Up
CZ-USA

Back