The Real Reason Kansas Is Running Out of Water

We will be out of water, seems like within our lifetimes, as quickly as we can pump it, or destroy it! We should conserve, now which farmer, oil drilling exec., or Municipality will quit first?

Last edited:
We'll wait until forced to make a decision. We're proven to be incapable of management ahead of a catastrophe. From Pearl Harbor to Chernoble, from the dirty thirties to the nuclear leak in Japan, humans create known risks and don't EXPECT statistics to catch up with them.

GREED!! just making a good living is not enough for many American's. Unbridled wealth will be the death of us all. A generation who could give a flying flip what is left behind...as long as I live like a king, who cares about the future of others. I may be in the best place on earth. 3/4 of the fresh water in the world sits at my door step.

They are not going to run out of water anymore than we are going to run out of oil, run out of wood, run out of anything. We can and do run low but then the answer is self regulating as price fixes the discrepancy.

In the 1800s whale oil was the energy of choice and whales became scarcer and prices moved higher humans moved on to more economical solutions to the high cost of whale oil energy. It became too expensive to send out a ship to hunt and process fewer and fewer whales and no one wanted to pay for whale oil at those higher prices.

Water in KS will become more expensive to find and pump and use so less will be used. Simple as that.

GREED!! just making a good living is not enough for many American's. Unbridled wealth will be the death of us all. A generation who could give a flying flip what is left behind...as long as I live like a king, who cares about the future of others. I may be in the best place on earth. 3/4 of the fresh water in the world sits at my door step.

This is spot on! And add selfishness - see so much of this and like you said many do not seem to care about what is left behind for future generations :mad:

M. R. Byrd posted a year or two ago about a water board meeting in his area of Kansas about the drop in water levels in the aquifer and how much rain and time it would take to just replenish what has been lost. A producer at the meeting who was pumping from a large irrigation well(something like 18") was warned about the continued pumping. He said something to the fact. If others were not made to stop pumping. He would not as well.

That's just a example of, I will head on this bitch right into a rock wall, because I'm going to get all I can before it's gone.

If that doesn't spell the future, nothing does.

Huh:confused:

Large scale operations that irrigate.....it will run dry. We're a now society. I think that's what he's referring to.

Nothing to fear. When Kansans finally suck the aquifer dry to the point that corn farming is no longer profitable, even with the massive government subsidies that prop up the industry, 2 things will happen:

1. A lot of marginal farm land will revert to its natural short-grass prairie habitat

1. Agriculture in Kansas will change to a more economically and ecologically responsible mode like drought-resistant, perennial grain crops and ranching

Near here in Wisconsin is "Glacial Lake Wisconsin", a large, flat sandy area at the edge of the moraine of the last glacier. They grow a lot of potatoes and corn, much of the tilled ground is irrigated. Not far below under the surface is a large aquifer that feeds a lot of the midwest. My brother has a home on the banks of a small stream that flows from the moraine, through the sands and into the Wisconsin River. There is a portion of the stream that dries up, disappearing for periods of time into a dry streambed before emerging again.

Farmers irrigate without monitoring how much water they're putting on, or how much is needed by the crops. [It's like my stupid neighbors, with their automatic lawn sprinkling systems throwing on water when it's pouring rain and has rained the last couple days straight.] They pull down the aquifer, thus drying up the stream until it flows through more hills that replenish it. In addition, they pile on the fertilizer and weed killer the same way as irrigated water. Some of those chemicals leaches to the ground water and pollutes local drinking wells.

These same farmers have also removed all windbreaks, tilling as close to the road, or fence as possible. As a result, the top soil is gone, right down to the pan developed by plowing.

I know our local soil scientist, who has spent years trying to work with farmers on taking a more scientific approach to farming. Most farmers don't want to hear it. Distrust of the government is one reason. Pure, ridiculous stubbornness is another.

Believe me when I say that the "intensive" farming you guys see doesn't even begin to compare to the Grear Central Valley of California. An irrigated desert said to have the moist fertile soil in the world but you couldn't tell that by the amazing amount of input every crop needs. The largest fresh water lake west of the mississippi dried and farmed (thanks to the King of Ca J.G. Boswell). Every creek, stream and river damned, diked and straightened to be the hardest working water in the world. 95% loss of native wetlands in a very crucial part of the pacific flyway and near extinction of the tule elk who called them home and extinction for the mighty Ca grizzly. Salmon runs are mostly gone and the ones still intact are hanging by a thread. A town west of me that relies heavily on ground water pumping for irrigation has seen nearly 45ft of land subsidence in the last 100yrs, undrinkable groundwater in rural farm communities, and the farmers on the west side plow fallowed ground in the summer to prove a point about water with their huge dust storms. Its beautiful.

Last edited:
Dust Bowl. We will relive it!:eek:

One reason for lack of water is Nebraska and Colorado stole it all! :cheers:. By the way I think we are dangerously close to the dust bowl days, with one exception, we now have pumped out the aquifer, that water is gone and won't return, meaning resuming "life as normal now", will not return ever. I would not by buy in those areas, otherwise you are in for a pound of trouble down road.

Back