the last couple of days

BrownDogsCan2

After several days of being cooped up we were ready to get out and the birds were on the move.
DSCN4270_1.jpg

Tuesday it was tuff going. After sitting through the rain and wind and sleet the pheasants were active, maybe to active. Long trails with me usually falling behind and about ten yards and out of shooting range. We did the best we could and in the last field managed to scratch down a couple of birds to prevent me from going home empty handed.
DSCN4274.jpg

Wednesday was a new day and woke up to a fresh powdering of snow. Chip and I got our stuff around and headed west. We didn't make it far before running into a wrecker and several cars in the ditch. That makes me nervous, and I decided I'd get off the highway and work my way over on the back roads. By accident I stumbled on a piece of wiha not far out of town.
It looked good, cut feed on one side , stalks on the other. With the wind at ours backs we took the feed side out and around the corner back towards the milo. After getting to the milo things began to get better. Wheat stubble butted up to the south end mixed in with weeds,,, lots of weeds. We started working our way down the edge to the north. Hundred yards in and Chip gets the look. I hustle up as he digs the first hen out, another and then another. About that time two roosters have put just enough distance between us and manage to flush just out of range! O well at least were seeing birds! Three hundred yards more and we get to a draw that runs through the grass and out into the milo. A couple sets of tracks lead into the grass, I think I'll follow them. First bird out, a hen, is inches from becoming a chessie scubby snack. Chip is on another one a second hen flushes, I follow. Twenty yards later its time, a rooster busts out the back door and I blow it!

Time to head south and check out some new ground.

Trumpeters, that makes 5 in this lifetime. Way cool.
DSCN4275.jpg

Spent a little time down south, walked a little, but lets get back on track. Its almost noon lets see if we can find some birds.
So we headed back west to a field that was giving me fits yesterday.
Half an hour drive and were on.
First bird out a hen, long chase and blows out wild. Not again!! Long walk, another quarter mile, nothing. But I have hope. You see I'm coming to the spot were yesterday they gave me slip. A pinch point , a draw that butts up to a strip of fallow ground,,foxtail. Chips working out left, me center. This time they hold. First rooster , right, easy shot, he folds,. At the report a second jumps at my feet, stout load of #5's at short yardage. Oops. Chip picks up the good one,, me, my pile of feathers. Two in the bag.

All right lets keep heading north. Plumthickets ahead. Rooster! Three. Another Rooster! dang too far.
Headed back east. Chip wants to back hunt. Bumps the next one out out of sight.

20151230_153245.jpg

More plumthickets. Back hunting again. Gettin birdie. Rooster! Pinned between us, no shot, straight at the dog.
Lets head back to the truck.

Combined Birds from yesterday(were still in the back of my truck) and today. Makes a better picture. screw with my wife a little bit.

DSCN4285.jpg

You got one more field in you. Lets see if we pick one more up. Nope. dropped a leg, missed the followup, call it a day

20151230_154118.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more pictures from day 3, Jan2 . Ended up picking up a quail shortly after stopping at the guzzler. The pheasant I dropped on the fence line.I had to unload my gun and leave it on the walkin while we crossed over the fence to look for him. Chip kept wanting to look for him on the far side, I finally got him to come back to me and start over. He tracked for a little bit lost it and then ended up finding him back in the horseshoe of that brushpile. I think there was a lot of luck involved because I don't think chip had a very good handle on where that bird had went.

20160103_123851.jpg

DSCN4286.jpg

Back