The Good, The Bad and The Down Right Ugly.

carptom1

So BrownDogs had mentioned to me that he was planning to go to South Dakota and wanted to know if I wanted him to pick me up on his way north. Well my wife had put the kabosh on most any trip in December due to kids college graduation and party along with other family obligations. So I secured an ok and we were off. Here’s a reflection of our recent trip:

The Good

There are still plenty of birds around and although many were missing some tail feathers due to the ice, we still saw plenty. My little Pudelpointer sure took a big step forward. In October she had to be coaxed to retrieve, but not this time. She made several retrieves and was marking very well. She was unsure how to pick them up before, but she full body grabbed these perfectly and even tackled a wounded one that was fighting with her. Got multiple points and she hunted the cover well and attacked the cattails with aggression. At 11 months I couldn’t be any more satisfied. After she settles down a bit I think she will be good. I also enjoyed watching Aaron’s dogs. The chessie is a tank in the cattails and the Boykin hunted well. Three dogs in a hotel room was fun at times. I also went 3 for 3 with some cheap steel with no cripples. I was going to brag about that, but after the last day I cannot.

The Bad

Food in Aberdeen sucks for the most part.
Having Covid twice this year and being overweight sucks. I have to be better or I will be done in a few short years. Getting a bolt in a tire and having to change it while hunting. Hunting in 40 plus mph wind and snow.

The Ugly

My shooting was beyond bad on the last day. I can blame it on being tired, switching to lead shells I was unfamiliar with after going 3for 3 with cheap steel, being out of shape I really don’t know. I literally went 0-3 in about ten minutes on waay easier shots then the day before in high wind. So at the end of the day I had a chance to redeem myself. Raven was working birds in the cover and we headed towards the cut corn. You know the spot, right where the cover is pinching to the corner of the corn. There isn’t always a bird there, but whe there is it’s always a rooster. Boom she locks up on it a the very edge. I walk up and son of a bitch I missed it too. Worst couple hrs I can ever remember. Oh well at least I didn’t cripple them. I know I got in my head and started aiming. I was actually glad when it was over. I just wish I could have completed the deal for her. She really worked hard for the three days

I envy you guys that live close to good hunting. I guess it’s probably some game farm work the rest of the year. Unless I can con my way north in January 😀

Tom glad you got to go and the learning your pup gained will imprint for ever! Hope you can get up in January!

So BrownDogs had mentioned to me that he was planning to go to South Dakota and wanted to know if I wanted him to pick me up on his way north. Well my wife had put the kabosh on most any trip in December due to kids college graduation and party along with other family obligations. So I secured an ok and we were off. Here’s a reflection of our recent trip:

The Good

There are still plenty of birds around and although many were missing some tail feathers due to the ice, we still saw plenty. My little Pudelpointer sure took a big step forward. In October she had to be coaxed to retrieve, but not this time. She made several retrieves and was marking very well. She was unsure how to pick them up before, but she full body grabbed these perfectly and even tackled a wounded one that was fighting with her. Got multiple points and she hunted the cover well and attacked the cattails with aggression. At 11 months I couldn’t be any more satisfied. After she settles down a bit I think she will be good. I also enjoyed watching Aaron’s dogs. The chessie is a tank in the cattails and the Boykin hunted well. Three dogs in a hotel room was fun at times. I also went 3 for 3 with some cheap steel with no cripples. I was going to brag about that, but after the last day I cannot.

The Bad

Food in Aberdeen sucks for the most part.
Having Covid twice this year and being overweight sucks. I have to be better or I will be done in a few short years. Getting a bolt in a tire and having to change it while hunting. Hunting in 40 plus mph wind and snow.

The Ugly

My shooting was beyond bad on the last day. I can blame it on being tired, switching to lead shells I was unfamiliar with after going 3for 3 with cheap steel, being out of shape I really don’t know. I literally went 0-3 in about ten minutes on waay easier shots then the day before in high wind. So at the end of the day I had a chance to redeem myself. Raven was working birds in the cover and we headed towards the cut corn. You know the spot, right where the cover is pinching to the corner of the corn. There isn’t always a bird there, but whe there is it’s always a rooster. Boom she locks up on it a the very edge. I walk up and son of a bitch I missed it too. Worst couple hrs I can ever remember. Oh well at least I didn’t cripple them. I know I got in my head and started aiming. I was actually glad when it was over. I just wish I could have completed the deal for her. She really worked hard for the three days

I envy you guys that live close to good hunting. I guess it’s probably some game farm work the rest of the year. Unless I can con my way north in January 😀
Hey Tom-glad you had a chance to return to SD. Interesting report especially about Raven - she's a winner!

Hey Tom-glad you had a chance to return to SD. Interesting report especially about Raven - she's a winner.

Thanks I really think she is going to be good in a couple years.
Tom glad you got to go and the learning your pup gained will imprint for ever! Hope you can get up in January!
It is amazing how much progress they can make in a few months if they come from good breeding. She is 200% better than just a month or so ago.

Hey Tom-glad you had a chance to return to SD. Interesting report especially about Raven - she's a winner!
Thanks she has made a lot of progress. Hopefully you have gotten out some. This was public and ditches.

Thanks she has made a lot of progress. Hopefully you have gotten out some. This was public and ditches.
Returned to Presho and fought 45 mph winds and very cold temps. Brutal hunting and poor shooting! Hope to have another go at it on the 19th.

I'm betting it was the exhaustion. It gets me now more than ever. I might as well not shoot at the end of the day. But Hey at least you were there and had some good dog work! Beautiful little P.P. Your comment about your wife putting the kabosh on some hunts because of family matters reminded me of something my grandson told me when we were trying to plan a hunt. He said his grandma (my ex-wife) made him promise to never miss a thanksgiving, xmas, or family stuff for hunting. Then he said thanks a lot papaw!!!

We’re you at the same place? Did you see quite a few birds?
Same farm...lots of birds. One area, third day, we hunted a long creek bed, north of town. We didn't hunt this spot in October, but have hunted it in previous years; flocks and very wary. Field south of 90 Alec limited in 15 minutes...all the birds flushed on his side of the field. Field north of that site, long winding creek bed we flushed quite a few - I limited there but continued to shoot very erratic. Too many clothes, hats,wind, along with a poor mount. Most of my shots were above the bird. Max continues to point on occasion - solid on two roosters and I'm busy reloading my gun...never got a shot off! He had a few more, all hens. Bought a new gun; hopefully that will solve all the excuses. Let me know if you want to join the fray on the 19th...

Same farm...lots of birds. One area, third day, we hunted a long creek bed, north of town. We didn't hunt this spot in October, but have hunted it in previous years; flocks and very wary. Field south of 90 Alec limited in 15 minutes...all the birds flushed on his side of the field. Field north of that site, long winding creek bed we flushed quite a few - I limited there but continued to shoot very erratic. Too many clothes, hats,wind, along with a poor mount. Most of my shots were above the bird. Max continues to point on occasion - solid on two roosters and I'm busy reloading my gun...never got a shot off! He had a few more, all hens. Bought a new gun; hopefully that will solve all the excuses. Let me know if you want to join the fray on the 19th...
Sounds fun, I think Dec is probably done for me, too many family obligations

Back