That time of year- the chicks are in

bauerline

Its that time of year to get day old pheasant chicks to release this fall. 210 chicks were picked up today and so far so good. Are others still raising chicks? There were quite a few on her last year raising birds. Here are the little guys:

Good luck with them. Is that at your house or the club?

It's the club's brooder house. The flight pen is built beside it so we don't have to move them. There is a small door from the brooder house into the flight penn.

I saw 2 hens from last year when I went down to the club this morning. I also saw a pair of quail, one male and one female. I've been seeing a lot of baby geese and there were some baby ducks in the area. Spring is here!

photo_zpsb9e201bd.jpg

Latest pic of the birds.

I'm envious.....I've always wanted have a a small flightpen/brood house. I went to a vocational school for enviornmental sciences in high school and we built a shed with a small flight pen to raise pheasants for an FFA fundraiser. Always wanted to do my own if I had the property.

I'm envious.....I've always wanted have a a small flightpen/brood house. I went to a vocational school for enviornmental sciences in high school and we built a shed with a small flight pen to raise pheasants for an FFA fundraiser. Always wanted to do my own if I had the property.

Check out the local sportsmen's clubs and see if they are already raising birds for release or if they are interested in doing it. I do put in a good amount of time working with the birds for the local club I belong to but I enjoy it. And I'm not in any position to buy the land and pay for all the equipment and feed. But doing it for the club means its their money. It has worked out well for me and the dogs. And the club is happy to have the help.

Here are a couple early October pictures:

photo1_zps9aac9a3e.jpg

photo3_zps6bc1ebf7.jpg

I'm still seeing a rooster from last year's birds. I'm not sure how he's making it this long. The cooper's hawks have been hitting quite a few of the hens I released last month.

Back