Teachers

onpoint

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put thing in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit! We can get that for minimum wage. That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That ...would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to......... 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations. LET'S SEE.... That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Heaven forbid we take into account highly qualified teachers or NCLB...

I love it when people bitch about teachers salaries, and or time off and summer vacation. After seeing the crap my sister in law, and now one of my son's put up with, it is no easy ride. They certainly didn't get into it for fame and fortune. They do it because they love it.

I love it when people bitch about teachers salaries, and or time off and summer vacation. After seeing the crap my sister in law, and now one of my son's put up with, it is no easy ride. They certainly didn't get into it for fame and fortune. They do it because they love it.

I agree 100%:thumbsup:

These are only the people educating your children, surely they are over paid right. Now people are saying they should have CCWs to protect the children as well? I don't have children of my own but the thought of an overworked, underpaid person adding the stress of that responsibility doesn't sit well. These teachers are molding and nurturing future generations, they deserve just compensation for their work.

I remember what I was like in school. I would have given myself a mental break down if I had to deal with me, if that makes any sense.

Some of the kids' stories that I have in class makes me hate humanity sometimes. Freshmen who come in sexually abused, or students who live in cars, and the only time they get to eat is when they come to school.

One student who has bounced around in foster care told me that her dad has fathered 22 kids. Her mother had 5 kids.

Awesome.

Hell, as far as pay is concerned, I hope that I can someday make enough to where I don't have to paint houses or work part time and still be comfortable.

Some of the kids' stories that I have in class makes me hate humanity sometimes. Freshmen who come in sexually abused, or students who live in cars, and the only time they get to eat is when they come to school.

One student who has bounced around in foster care told me that her dad has fathered 22 kids. Her mother had 5 kids.

Awesome.

Hell, as far as pay is concerned, I hope that I can someday make enough to where I don't have to paint houses or work part time and still be comfortable.

And we wonder why free lunch/brekfast for school age children is such a hot issue to the cut and slash crowd? Might turn these "assets", ( and they are), into spectacular citizens someday, with the help of a caring teacher. I paid my taxes and smile it gets used that way. We could do more!

My Wife and I and our Kids did very well being educated in public schools.
ready for college.

Thanks Teachers!:thumbsup:

Well, my wife happens to be a teacher, and trust me, they should make more money than alot of other occupations. Only because they have to put up with alot....... I won't get into specifics, because I'm sure you already know them all.

Now, if my state was a "Right to Work" state, we wouldn't have to keep giving the UNION more of her hard earned money................ Money she has to give them, goes directly to people she doesn't want elected??? Now tell again why I should like this!!!!

:cheers:

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put thing in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit! We can get that for minimum wage. That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That ...would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to......... 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations. LET'S SEE.... That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Heaven forbid we take into account highly qualified teachers or NCLB...

Well, my wife happens to be a teacher, and trust me, they should make more money than alot of other occupations. Only because they have to put up with alot....... I won't get into specifics, because I'm sure you already know them all.

Now, if my state was a "Right to Work" state, we wouldn't have to keep giving the UNION more of her hard earned money................ Money she has to give them, goes directly to people she doesn't want elected??? Now tell again why I should like this!!!!

:cheers:

Fact is Labman..right to work states have lower incomes and poorer benefits.

"Wages in right-to-work states are 3.2% lower than those in non-RTW states, after controlling for a full complement of individual demographic and socioeconomic variables as well as state macroeconomic indicators. Using the average wage in non-RTW states as the base ($22.11), the average full-time, full-year worker in an RTW state makes about $1,500 less annually than a similar worker in a non-RTW state"

"The rate of employer-sponsored pensions is 4.8 percentage points lower in RTW states, using the full complement of control variables in [the study's] regression model. If workers in non-RTW states were to receive pensions at this lower rate, 3.8 million fewer workers nationally would have pensions."

It's a catchy Fraze that sounds all warm and fuzzy but what it really says. You have the right to work for Less

Fact is: You should have a Choice whether you want to give dues to the union. Sorry, but I don't want them getting my money, and especially them not getting my money to get Obama elected. 400 million from unions in 2008 towards his election.

We are kind of getting off track here.

Lets not turn this into anymore of a politics thread.

You have a right to your beliefs. Just kind of hard to start off this thread with teachers not being paid what they should be. Then going off on a rant that supports less pay and benefits. Kind of counter productive to what this thread is about.

Onpoint

You started a teacher thread! Your talking about teacher pay, correct? My wife is a teacher. Therefore, I'm simply stating her salary would be higher if we weren't FORCED to pay union dues. Its pretty straight forward! Nothing against you or anyone else. My family just cannot afford this government and union crap. Real life! Just saying. Teachers have a hard job!!!

You started a teacher thread! Your talking about teacher pay, correct? My wife is a teacher. Therefore, I'm simply stating her salary would be higher if we weren't FORCED to pay union dues. Its pretty straight forward! Nothing against you or anyone else. My family just cannot afford this government and union crap. Real life! Just saying. Teachers have a hard job!!!

Labman,

I am anything but a staunch union supporter. But.............. what onpoint is saying is that if your wife lived and worked in a RTW state, such as Kansas where I live and my son teaches, the chances are great that she would take home less than what she does.

Well, I disagree! But, things are getting very heated with the gun control. Go to the NRA website and sign the petition to stop the dictator from taking our 2nd amendment rights from us. Using executive order to bypass congress and the American people. Dictator!!! Is everyone on edge like me? I feel pretty dang violated by these liberals and their gun control agenda! Is this the most intense its been in your lifetime? Definately is for me. Never worried about it before!

Well, I disagree! But, things are getting very heated with the gun control. Go to the NRA website and sign the petition to stop the dictator from taking our 2nd amendment rights from us. Using executive order to bypass congress and the American people. Dictator!!! Is everyone on edge like me? I feel pretty dang violated by these liberals and their gun control agenda! Is this the most intense its been in your lifetime? Definately is for me. Never worried about it before!

Could not agree more.:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:

Thanks for soiling another thread. This really has nothing to do with that.

Oh my bad carptom1. I guess I can't express my feelings in the lounge part of the forum.

Teachers is what we were talking about, right? Dang, I just can't get the gun grabbers off my mind right now. This forum should be on fire talking about how we can stop these lunatics from messing with our 2nd amendment right to bear arms!

Not trying to offend, just saying we'd better stand up and do something!

In my 18th year teaching. we get paid what we get paid. end of story. My question is why am I making $25K less teaching in a rural area versus an urban one. Same amount of problems, just different. I know it's a tax base thing, but come on!

Back