Talk me down off the edge.

blueweim

My breeder offered me a deal on a male Long Hair Weimaraner if I train him, title him and keep him intact for future breeding. I love the look of LH's with the full tail on point and I have always wanted one since they are rare in the US. I know the dog will hunt since the pup would be a half brother to my current weim. This is going to be my dogs mother's last litter and I am having a hard time saying no but I just can't see how life with 3 dogs would be better. I have 2 in my office right now but I can't imagine 3 in the office.

The Mother

gabby.jpg

Restraint where dogs and guns are concerned, is a virtue I have yet to master. Handsome dog, what if one of yours get hurt? Out of action in the heart of the season. It works better to have a brace! three aren't anymore work than two. While we are at it, how are you fixed for guns, might need a new gun for close work in heavy brush or a long sleek double choked full and fuller, for those late birds that run and bust wild. These are agruments I have found persuasive to myself and significant others. After the moaning and eye-rolling look like I'm a little kid, I get what I want. I can take the abuse, the end justifies the means. Good Luck.

A friend of mine has 16 dogs at last count. They are all shapes and sizes of hunting dogs and stock dogs. He is a dog food dealer for Black Gold dog food and whatever bags that are torn during shipping he uses to feed his dogs. He uses about 75 lbs. a week for his dogs. Could say it's a present too....Phil V.

Its not that my wife is against it I just think life with 3 might be too much.

I have 3 dogs. All are in the house. I don't think that 3 is much more work than 2. Like Old and New stated, I would worry that a dog got hurt and you would be stuck with one dog for the season. That would be pretty tough if you hunt a lot.

In short, buy the dog if you know you will like him.

That is one crazy/cool looking dog!

I have just gone from two to three dogs. Pups are always a lot of work but I don't feel three adults will be anymore work than two. Right now the 6 year old lab is laying at my feet while the 2 1/2 year old lab is wrestling with the 15 week old lab pup. I didn't notice the ages of your currant dogs but a pup can be a bit overwhelming for a senior dog. Get your obediance solid and it will be easy.

Go for it

PS check your local ordinances to see how many dogs you can have before you need a kennel liscence.

Thanks Gatzby. 3 is the local ordinance so I am good there. I have a 5 year old weim and 3 year old weim. The 5 year old is not a hunter but I take him along if my wife goes with me.
Your right the work of a puppy......... With my other weims it seem to be 2 is the magical age when they mellow a little.
My plan was to get a LH weim when my hunting partner turned 5 but..........

Its not that my wife is against it I just think life with 3 might be too much.

Get the pup. Start a new. nothin better than training a new pup.

By the way I counted today, I have (8) Dogs, (6) I own and (2) in training.
Whats one more:thumbsup:

My breeder offered me a deal on a male Long Hair Weimaraner if I train him, title him and keep him intact for future breeding. I love the look of LH's with the full tail on point and I have always wanted one since they are rare in the US. I know the dog will hunt since the pup would be a half brother to my current weim. This is going to be my dogs mother's last litter and I am having a hard time saying no but I just can't see how life with 3 dogs would be better. I have 2 in my office right now but I can't imagine 3 in the office.

The Mother

gabby.jpg

Question, does that breed not dock the tails? I like the looks of that dog!!!!:cheers:

Oh no I think you're on the wrong website if you want to be talked out of another dog. :cheers::D I say go for it.

Ok, let's look at this rationally: :nutz: :rolleyes: :D.

OK, that's done, now...get the puppy. It will be wonderful and if you don't, you'll always wonder...would that have been the "ultimate hunting dog" for me?

Think of the psychological counseling fees you'll avoid.

:)

yeah I thought someone would think it was not a good idea.

Bleubijou with the weimaraner they dock the short hairs but the long hairs have a full tail. LH's are not that popular in the states

I'm certainly no expert on Longhaired Weimaraners but doesn't that dog have a rather rough coat? Seems the ones I've seen have a flatter, silkier coat.

She just had a bath and hasn't dried completely yet. She looks pretty fluffy at the moment.

Back