Sw Minnesota Pheasant pics 01-05-2014

Thank you.

You take and post such wonderful images, it is ALWAYS a treat to open one of your posts.

Really nice.

:thumbsup:

Notice how late into the evening those birds are feeding? It's practically dark in some of those photos. Scarce food sources in the winter means pheasants have to stay exposed to the harsh winter elements longer on top of risking predation.

Food sources close to habitat can be vital to pheasants and other wildlife. A well placed food plot can make a world of difference in cutting down predation;)

Great pics! Just curious if those birds are hunted during the season?

Yes they are I don't hunt them once I start feeding them but did get pics of a dog and hunter walking by a couple weeks ago and one rooster showed up with a tail feather cut in half and hanging

cnggack, great outstanding photos.

Years ago I read articles in Wildlife or Hunting magazines that stated that farmers noticed that in mid winter, in very cold weather, that wild roosters would chase off wild hens from good food and good cover.

I have been watching wild pheasants when I can for over 40 years and I have never noticed roosters chasing or running off hens from food or cover. I have flushed large groups of pheasants in winter 50/50 roosters and hens.

In these great photos wild hens and wild roosters are getting along just fine in mid winter in zero cold.

The more pheasant eyes, ears and noses together on the alert for hungry predators the better the survival for both hens and roosters, there is safety in numbers.

AWESOME!!!! Would love to see pictures of what the surrounding area looks like.

cnggack, great outstanding photos.

Years ago I read articles in Wildlife or Hunting magazines that stated that farmers noticed that in mid winter, in very cold weather, that wild roosters would chase off wild hens from good food and good cover.

I have been watching wild pheasants when I can for over 40 years and I have never noticed roosters chasing or running off hens from food or cover. I have flushed large groups of pheasants in winter 50/50 roosters and hens.

In these great photos wild hens and wild roosters are getting along just fine in mid winter in zero cold.

Preston this is a good observation. They do the same thing at my dad's place---hen's and roosters feeding together.

I agree very cool pics. I have to wonder about our observations though. i do watch deer where the strong and if possible the males do keep the weak, and does off the food, but will tolerate a 6 month old button buck!

Back