Suspenders

oscar

I believe a pair of suspenders is an often neglected item of equipment. For years I have worn a wide pair with my hunting pants. They take some of the stress off your waist and your regular belt. You may have a knife, handgun, phone and other items on your belt. You may have shells and other things in your pockets that tend to drag your pants down. I just find that suspenders make for a more pleasant day afield.

I agree Oscar, another thing I found I have far less back pain with the Suspenders. It is amazing how pressure the belt puts on your spine. I wear them all the time and my back feels a heck of a lot better for it.

I as well wear suspenders, especially now that age and good food has taken my slim waist to a few inches bigger than the federal debt, they help keep my pants up as well helps my back.:)

Going for Suspenders

Suspenders are great. I just bought a pair of wet weather field pants too large in the waste so that they will hang nicely from suspenders. The last thing you want on a long upland yomp is tight clothing that makes you work harder to walk.

suspenders prevent crotchendectomy

I've found suspenders help eliminate the issue of tearing the crotch out of my pants, while attempting to stepover a barbed wire fence, at port arms, while trying to reach a dog on point on the other side. I'm just tall enough to be able to believe I can Make it!!! I do most of the time, but occasionally my low hanging pants are a casualty, fortunately my low hanging anatomy, so far has not. I have shot many a bird while straddling, by the way, In my experience the rotters know when you should be off your game and notriously flush wild at the cricky sound of stretching wire! What do they say, " kids don't try this at home".

oldandnew,
I know what you mean, I have ruined some nice upland pants due to going over the barbed wire fence. I bought some steps that you put on the t bar fence so you can step over with a little less effort and have had a rooster jump up and been a position where there is no shot possible. The worst part is the look the dogs give you for not shooting. I guess they just can not figure it out a fat, short legged guy can not manuever like he should at times. I guess they are getting use to it as it has happened more than once and probably will again. :) Good thing I have some kelvar thread as they are great for sewing up ripped pants.

Before I "perfected"???, the straddle I even tried making a racket on the wrong side of the fence, but the crafty boogers would never take the bait! Always waiting till the moment when you are " on the Fence" literally. Some of them even run straight at you on the fence, sort of charging rhino style. Have gotten some interesting looks from the straights at the gas station and drive ins on the way home, with my atlered shredded Hulk like apparel and barely sheathed "wobbly bits", as the Brits say, sure makes it easy to take a leak though!

Crotchendectomy Dangerous, Painful Condition

I've found suspenders help eliminate the issue of tearing the crotch out of my pants, while attempting to stepover a barbed wire fence, at port arms, while trying to reach a dog on point on the other side. I'm just tall enough to be able to believe I can Make it!!! I do most of the time, but occasionally my low hanging pants are a casualty, fortunately my low hanging anatomy, so far has not. I have shot many a bird while straddling, by the way, In my experience the rotters know when you should be off your game and notriously flush wild at the cricky sound of stretching wire! What do they say, " kids don't try this at home".

LOL! To All UPHF Members and Readers: Crotchendectomy is painful and dangerous. Take heed and conduct yourselves accordingly!

Last edited:
Is 28 too old to sport suspenders? I have been wanting to rock them for awhile but my wife says she won't be seen in public with me.

Is 28 too old to sport suspenders? I have been wanting to rock them for awhile but my wife says she won't be seen in public with me.

Perhaps too young. LOL!

Jeff, My wife when I first started wearing them was very much against them. I told her I wanted to ease the pain in my back. I've had 2 surgeries. She said they still made me look older than I was. Now I was around 50 now about 25 years later she don't comment any more..........Bob

Between the popularity of this thread and the discussion of how old is too old for me and my dog to get the deed done I can hardly wait for the the "Is generic Geritol as good as the real thing" thread.

I base my opinion of " better", when it comes to Medicinal supplements by how much alchohol is in it by volume. The higher proof the better.

I may start my next thread on what brand of prune juice you prefer. Personally, I like SunSweet.

I think OldandNew has the right idea. Its how you feel that counts........Bob

Back