Surrogator for sale

KansasGsp

I've got a 4 year old surrogator for sale in Central Kansas. Asking $1,000 for it. Good condition and everything works.

Did you have success with the surrogator?

Did you have success with the surrogator?

I used it for 3 years on some and had pretty good success. I did quail the first year and did ok, but had much better luck with the pheasants the next two years. The land I used it on is in Southeast Kansas and had no native pheasants. We've now got a decent little population built up and just a couple weekends ago I jumped 3 roosters on my way to the deer blind. There's weekly maintanace on the unit and it's just too far to drive from my house to check on them. I also coach baseball in the spring/summer and have two little ones at the house. Hate to give it up, but it's a must.

How many birds do they hold and to what age?

It'll hold 125 day old quail or 65 day old pheasants. I'd usually get about half the quail to make it to the 5 weeks when their old enough to release. I had much better luck with the pheasants. You release them at 4 weeks and we'd usually lose between 10-15 of them. When we did quail we'd run 4 cycles and with the pheasants we'd do 3. Day old chicks are pretty cheep and they ship to any post office. We'd pick them up first thing in the morning and go stick them in the surrogator. You pretty much leave them alone, check them once a week to turn down the heat and pick out the dead. It's a pretty cool thing raising birds. My little girl sure got a kick out of it. She gave most of them names.

Back