Supplements

Dakotazeb

I know the subject of dog supplements had been discussed on this site but I was wondering how many of you give your dogs some kind of "joint" supplement like Cosequin? Looking for info on whether or not they work and what you recommend. What age do you start your dogs on such supplements? Thanks guys.

Yes, my wife is a vet technician and she brought home a new product about a month ago, some kind of joint supplement that is a weekly shot, very affordable, less then most glucosamine based products and it seems to be making a difference in our older dog. However, i can't remember what it is called. I'll look when i get home.

Started both at around 8 years of age.
One dog is now 11, the other 12.
I use Cosequin DS.
Highly recommend.
I would consider using it earlier on the next dogs.
FWIW

I supplement my 8 year-old (soon to be 9) dog's diet with a liquid glucosamine/chondroitin formula called Flexicose.

After the vet recommended using a supplement at her age, I did a lot of reading. Liquid supplements (regardless of the vitamin/mineral) are nearly all more readily bioavailable in liquid form, so it was no surprise that this was as well. I can say I notice a fairly substantial difference when I forget to order more, and she goes without for a few weeks.

It's expensive, but I think it's well worth it, and comparable in price to some of the well-known pill brands. They also sell the same formula to human consumers... kinda makes me feel good about the product.

http://www.flexicose.com/about-dtchealth/index.html

I know the subject of dog supplements had been discussed on this site but I was wondering how many of you give your dogs some kind of "joint" supplement like Cosequin? Looking for info on whether or not they work and what you recommend. What age do you start your dogs on such supplements? Thanks guys.

DakotaZeb,

You bring up a very important discussion in maintaining optimal joint function in our dogs. I think everyone here has spent a hard day hunting in the field knows that it can take a huge toll on our joints and muscles. As we get older it becomes a more prominent problem. Our dogs are no different! I think that as a dog ages they need supplements to prevent potential joint problems that can lead to injuries. The question is at what age you should begin a regime. I have elected, after significant research, to choose a dog food that provides supplements specifically for joints and health. I chose Victor grain free dog food which includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements. I have only been feeding all my dogs (4-9 years of age) this for six months and have no complaints thus far.

How long does the 8 oz bottle of Synflex last? I have a 50lb lab that is pretty tender after a long day in the field...

Used JointMax for years. Start all dogs on gluco/chron at 6 months. My old shorthair had spine xray at 14 years old, and vet said xrays looked like a 4-5 year old dog. Guided for many years and hunted dogs hard. I know it makes a difference. Had a vet that field trials tell me that you can just buy cheap ones at Sam's Club for people and give dogs 1 each day. He said they work just as well as expensive canine joint supplements. He started all his dogs at 6 months on it.

Back