Superficial puncture wound

Goosemaster

My lab has a superficial puncture wound.The vet put a suture in it, and said she has to take it easy for 2 weeks.It didn't bleed much at all, wasn't deep.Here is the question: should some light hunting be ok, after 1 week? In other words, light, sharp tail cover? Just to get out?

What did your vet say when you asked him/her? I probably wouldn’t push it. Don’t want it to become infected or otherwise compromised.

I agree, she said 2 weeks, so I guess that's it. I was thinking maybe somebody else on here had the same situation.

I agree, she said 2 weeks, so I guess that's it. I was thinking maybe somebody else on here had the same situation.

My young setter gashed his chest open on a barbed wire fence. Trip to the Vet and stitches. He said pup was done for the week, not to hunt him. After a couple days I took him out for a short field, wanting to let him out after being cooped up. We took it easy for about 15-20 minutes in very light cover, but I didn't want to push my luck any more than that.

Hunting grouse everyone is bleeding at some point.

Haven’t had stitches or large gashes be much of an issue hunting right away usually.

In my experience takes about two days for the drugs to wear off if they had to put them under.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I think that's what I'll do.Light cover, small field, if there is such a thing in mt.

Back