Summer Scouting

arringto

My son and myself are flying to Kansas tomorrow for a long weekend of scouting WIHA for this fall. We normally hunt quail in NC Kansas, but this year we are going to go farther west hoping to find areas better suited for pheasant and quail. Hopefully all of the roads aren’t washed out. Do y’all think this rainy season will have a dramatic effect on the birds this fall? Either way we’re looking for a nice weekend in the great state of Kansas!!

I don't know about the birds, but the mosquitos and frogs are doing great. You might need waders and/or a boat if you want to check certain fields around here. No joke, there is a lot of water. Portions of my little farm have been inaccessible since March. Between the rain coming down or the KS river coming up, my river bottom ground can't be reached by foot or vehicle. This is the Manhattan, KS area, and East of here.

Hopefully you'll have luck finding birds and dry gound in western KS.

Most roads are driveable. A few are washed out and I ran across a couple today that are flooded but not many. Remember you can not enter WIHA this time of year. Not til Sept. 1.

Last edited:
We’re not walking any ground just riding around to see what’s planted, etc.... One thing I can say is that eastern Kansas is extremely wet. We drove 36 west to Mankato and there’s everything from flooded fields, corners that have been under water and 2 corn fields that look like they got beat up with hail. Another thing is the farmers are working hard to get up the wheat, what do they normally plant behind wheat? We saw a few quail and a couple of roosters today, but the doves are everywhere!!

We’re not walking any ground just riding around to see what’s planted, etc.... One thing I can say is that eastern Kansas is extremely wet. We drove 36 west to Mankato and there’s everything from flooded fields, corners that have been under water and 2 corn fields that look like they got beat up with hail. Another thing is the farmers are working hard to get up the wheat, what do they normally plant behind wheat? We saw a few quail and a couple of roosters today, but the doves are everywhere!!

Milo the next summer.

Enjoy the rest of your scouting trip! Anxious to hear updates from you guys this weekend!

you are going to be a bit early to see broods and hatchlings, September would have been a better time to verify bird levels.......lots of cover where there isn't any standing water.
milo/cover crops should be planted yet this summer, if they can get into their fields. at least you will get a general idea of planting and what to expect...CRP should be shoulder high this season!

Last edited:
Well we finished the 3 day whirlwind tour around Kansas today and will be flying back to GA in the morning. We looked at a lot of walk-in SW, SC, NC Kansas and have made a note binder full of notes. We met several farmers with a couple hand shake invites to hunt this fall. We actually saw quite a few quail and pheasants. Mostly roosters and a few hens and all the quail were paired up which is a good sign to me. One thing for sure is the CRP fields in the sourthern part of the state are huge. I would love to hunt them but only with a large group. If y’all ever need a couple extra walkers let me know. Stay Safe and we’ll be back in November!!

Well we finished the 3 day whirlwind tour around Kansas today and will be flying back to GA in the morning. We looked at a lot of walk-in SW, SC, NC Kansas and have made a note binder full of notes. We met several farmers with a couple hand shake invites to hunt this fall. We actually saw quite a few quail and pheasants. Mostly roosters and a few hens and all the quail were paired up which is a good sign to me. One thing for sure is the CRP fields in the sourthern part of the state are huge. I would love to hunt them but only with a large group. If y’all ever need a couple extra walkers let me know. Stay Safe and we’ll be back in November!!

Don't let those big fields stop you. I do my best hunting the large fields by myself.

Back