suggestions for food plots

benelli-banger

quite wet in my area, won't get food plots in until mid-june at the earliest...suggestions for what to plant? also, I may not be able to fertilize this year...any suggestions on what may grow decently in a nutrient-poor soil? thanks for your help.

Proso millet is a bird attractor that can be planted late. You will need something for cover but pheasants love millet.

Mix a little Egyptian Wheat in with the proso to provide the cover. May not seed if too late, but may well. Arkan or Atlas sorghum might well substitute. Another is African millet. Get what you can find locally and go for it. Remember that food plots don't produce birds in the current year, they just hold them around in better condition during the fall/winter.

Looks like all on the same track. I like german foxtail millet too.

Me too, it just has a little longer season and isn't quite as drought or poor soil tolerant. Good stuff if you can use it though! I frequently mix 5-10 varieties so that something will usually do well no matter what the conditions. If conditions are optimal, all of them do.

Remember that food plots don't produce birds in the current year, they just hold them around in better condition during the fall/winter.

I found one that does!

This is truly a multimode brood and food plot. It feeds chicks from June to Aug and provides hunting in the fall. I saw this planted next door to me and looked just like it does in the video.

$1/pound and seed at 20lbs /acre. GFP designed and Sold by Millborn seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLauhOcAmn6dF1Kc5QdKGU0Idl76GLxX75&v=PxFZwKLruDA

Back