Stupid, Stupid, STUPID rabbits!

Kismet

UPH Guru
Well, Mick just brought back one of the baby bunnies from his THIRD nest this year. This one (and I hope he didn't ingest others from the nest.) was damaged and writhing.

Tinker may have helped with some of the first two.

ggrrrrrrrrr.

What really ticks me off is that the dogs are out on a chain, one at a time, twice a day for their, er, bathroom break. EVERY darned day. Wouldn't you think that Momma bunny would work out a nest program that was out of reach of the chain + dog length?

No, I'm wrong, what really ticks me off is they retrieve the baby bunnies, occasionally alive and squealing, to me, so I get to be the executioner of these incredibly tiny, and often very cute--depending on the enthusiasm of the capture and retrieve of the respective dog.

Mick's a 12 y/o ESS, and Tinker is a 3 y/o GWP, and both stop in their tracks on command when they pop a rabbit when we are pheasant hunting. But out on the leash, while I'm having my morning coffee, they are unattended.

How rabbits survived through all the predation of wild critters is beyond me.

Maybe my area of Southern Wisconsin just has genetically-flawed rabbits.

Stupid, stupid, stupid rabbits.

Looked it up: http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnieslifehist.htm

Last edited:
How rabbits survived through all the predation of wild critters is beyond me.

Yeah. How they manage to return the following year is something else:confused:.

I'm not sure how cottontail rabbit numbers have been in your area the last 3-4 years or so, but around here I've seen more rabbits than ever before. Unfortunately by the time fall comes around the coyotes manage to grab most of them.

It's still nice to see so many rabbits though:thumbsup:

If they're not hurt too bad, you can just put them back in the nest and they'll be fine.

A friend of ours puts a milk crate over the top of the rabbit nests when she lets her dogs out for the day, and then removes it when she brings her dogs in the house. The mom rabbit only visits the nest once or twice a day, so the baby rabbits are fine.

Baby rabbits are dumb though, I'm with you. Don't know how many small ones I've rescued from the cat only to have them get grabbed again a few hours later.

My goldens have busted up countless nests and brought back a bunch of them to me. My big golden had three in his mouth at one point. Same general area as you. The homes around me , no dogs. Me, 2 hunting dogs and always have bunnies.

Back