Still some good farmers out there

MAB7799

Was planning a upland hunt with a buddy of mine who has 3 dogs. I had access to about 250 acres of private land that I know has a couple coveys on it. I have always wanted to hunt some of the other pieces near there. I pulled up the county GIS map, found the land owners, called and went 4/4 and now have access to about 1200 acres of land. It is pretty much all quail ground with maybe a bonus rooster here or there but I was pretty glad to see that the farmers had no problem with us walking some hedgerows and waterways.

Just goes to show you can still cold call and get permission. I've got one more to call today that I've seen pheasants on their ground before. Hopefully I can go 5/5.

kind landowners

I've been told by many landowners that it's just nice to know who is on there land.

"If you're good enough to ask, I'll be good enough to let you hunt my land."

I have had many a farmer tell me that same quote. I also try to give the land owners something in return, even if it's just a thank you note, the thought goes a long way in your favor.

Good move on your part. Moreover, you're an ambassador for the rest of us. Thank you.

I've had similar luck. In my experience farmers aren't much more reluctant to let people hunt these days, they are just harder to find. Often the farmer lives miles away from the ground. You need a map of some kind to find them.

Tell me about it.. then when you do find the farmers name they have a cell phone that is NOT listed in the white pages and no land line. Took some serious detective work to get the numbers of these farmers. Reason they probably said yes is because they never get asked because nobody can find them! ha!

It seems like everytime I look up an owner of property it is listed as a Holdings or LLC with no contact information and if it is they are usually in Kansas City or even another state. It is getting pretty tough to just find a door to knock on.

Rut

Back