Still seein' quail

UGUIDE

I had several more quail covey flushes last week at the farm. I could not bring myself to shoot any of the little buggers. Would like to see if they can establish as our habitat is significantly increased between neighbors place and mine.

Congrats. :cheers:

I was surprised to find last year that I had a 3-5 weather the winter after escaping during early October dog training during the fall. My dog would reliably flush them from March through late April on our walks. Unfortunately I believe that either the cats or hawks got them because I never saw/heard them anymore past by the time May rolled around.

That is the time of year they pair off and try to nest. Call back birds will just disappear about that time of year after recalling to the area of the pen for months. One of the unexplained phenomenon of quail propagation. Part of the call back ritual, you start over every year.

I had several more quail covey flushes last week at the farm. I could not bring myself to shoot any of the little buggers. Would like to see if they can establish as our habitat is significantly increased between neighbors place and mine.

:10sign::cheers:UGUIDE it's only a testament to your improved habitat my friend! Congrats on your hard work paying off. Great to hear!! --1pheas4

:10sign::cheers:UGUIDE it's only a testament to your improved habitat my friend! Congrats on your hard work paying off. Great to hear!! --1pheas4

Thanks 1Pheas4. It is exciting to see the critters grow. Been a lot of hard work implementing but most of heavy lifting should be done after next year. All groups of pheasant hunters have been getting limits so far, quail showed up and hopefully the big bucks will start to grow to. I am sure the duck nesting will be huge if we have any kind of moisture like we did this year. heck, the sloughs are still full so they will be there in the spring.

That is the time of year they pair off and try to nest. Call back birds will just disappear about that time of year after recalling to the area of the pen for months. One of the unexplained phenomenon of quail propagation. Part of the call back ritual, you start over every year.
Thanks for the info.

Back