Starter shot gun for girl

RoosterTim

I'm looking for a good solid shot gun for a girl. I would like to go with semi auto to reduce recoil but it needs to be light as well. Budget area around $700 or so. Any suggestions?

Hey Tim, has she gone shooting at all yet?

My younger daughter REALLY wanted to hunt with me, years ago. Turns out, she really just wanted to wander fields with Dad and Dog.

Might be worth just using a single shot 20ga, or a friend's lightweight something, before you make the investment.

And, if she continues her interest, you can get one helluva shotgun for $700 by shopping around.

Be neat if she loves it.

Best wishes.

She loves it. She has a single shot 410 (family gun) but will be ready to move up soon. I was thinking 20 but if I could find an easy 12 I would rather go that route to set her up for the future. It's not about going on walks with dad and uncle she's a stone cold killer.

I know with the budget there are allot of good guns out there. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this and a jumping off point.

There are lots of used semi autos on the market. Stick with a gas operated model. Go to a gun shop, shoulder a bunch of different shotguns and see what works. For the $700 range there are some new models to choose from. Some of the lesser known brands out of Turkey are decent entry level shotguns. A 20 gauge Beretta 391 is light and soft shooting. I have had one for 10 years now and is a pleasure to shoot. There are plenty others to look at. Enjoy the search.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

I was in that boat a few years ago. I did get her a youth model 20 gauge. Kicks like a mule because it is light and short! 12 gauge has less felt recoil because of weight, length etc. She is 16 now and shoots my 11-87 12 gauge on the trap team in her high school. Shoots it just fine with very little recoil.

Well,

Is she big enough to handle a 12 Ga? If so why go with a 20 and have to buy another gun in a few years? As stated go with a gas operated gun for less felt recoil. Let us know what you go with for her, and how it works out.:)

My little petite twin daughters started out with Ithaca Flues Double 20 gauges. 5.25#- 5.5# weight, use 2 1/2" shells, no recoil, extractors, so they are shell conscience, have some Americana history. Never gave them up. use 3/4 ounce RST shells, when they fire they have a chance at a bird, but sometime the light report makes me giggle! Not for Steel shot though.

Look at the Franchi Affinity 20 gauge. I almost bought one for my self last year but went with the Browning Maxus.

On another board I saw what I think is a great idea for a growing shooter. It is the CZ 712 ALS. It is a gas actuated autoloader. The ALS stands for adjustable length stock. Essentially a telescoping stock that adjusts in four increments from 12" when the youth is smaller to 14" as the child ages and grows. The comb also adjusts up in three increments as needed to fit the stock to the growing child. Also seems to be a great gun for the small woman who needs a fitted stock out of the norm. Google the gun and there is even a Tom Knapp video that shows the gun and how it adjusts. I actually like the look of the gun and the price is right at MSRP of $579. I think it is a great idea and a little cheaper than the CZ 720 ALS that another member posted.

Last edited:
11-87 youth is a good option. If she out grows the youth stock should be no problem to find a full size.

Shotgun

Early high school graduation present. Browning Citori White Lightning in 16ga. Low recoil, easy to carry, neat looking, will hold its value, and it will drive her guy friends crazy. The extra grand will seem like chicken feed when you start planning her wedding. At least this way you will only have to buy one gun, and you will be the coolest dad in town.

I agree with Goldenboy - lightweight guns have a higher "felt" recoil. I own both 20 ga and a 12 auto. With a 3" pheasant load the 20 can give a good kick.

With a gas gun and a reasonable shell (not a magnum or 3") she should do fine.

If you buy a 12 ga. you might try a sporty's course and use a 1oz load of 8's vs her trying a pheasant load; kind of ease into the change in kick.

Just another thought when selecting a gun regardless of brand. Try and get one that fits reasonably well and feels comfortable. When she has the gun up into her face she should be able to look right down the rib reasonably well. If she is seeing the back of the receiver or seeing too much of the rib from the top, then you may need to have it altered some. It doesn't have to necessarily fit perfect, but in the ballpark if she is going to be shooting where she's looking.

Check the used Auto loader market for some good deals.

Just one other note, the Benelli and Beretta models (there may be others) have the option to do some minor stock fitting (cast and drop) with their shim system.

On another board I saw what I think is a great idea for a growing shooter. It is the CZ 712 ALS. It is a gas actuated autoloader. The ALS stands for adjustable length stock. Essentially a telescoping stock that adjusts in four increments from 12" when the youth is smaller to 14" as the child ages and grows. The comb also adjusts up in three increments as needed to fit the stock to the growing child. Also seems to be a great gun for the small woman who needs a fitted stock out of the norm. Google the gun and there is even a Tom Knapp video that shows the gun and how it adjusts. I actually like the look of the gun and the price is right at MSRP of $579. I think it is a great idea and a little cheaper than the CZ 720 ALS that another member posted.

The 720 ALS youth has the adjustable LOP and adjustable Comb as well. It also has a short 24in barrel. My kids shot it well and it's LOP goes from 12 to 14. Heck I am shooting it for quail myself:D

Early high school graduation present. Browning Citori White Lightning in 16ga. Low recoil, easy to carry, neat looking, will hold its value, and it will drive her guy friends crazy. The extra grand will seem like chicken feed when you start planning her wedding. At least this way you will only have to buy one gun, and you will be the coolest dad in town.

Not ready for this. But thanks for the advice.

Back