Sporting clays

duckn66

Went today with my daughter and shot a round. Been 15 years since I have done that and boy was I humbled! Used to shoot them quite a bit and don't ever remember shooting this bad!

But, we had a ton of fun! I'd forgotten how much fun it is!

Anyone else shoot clays?

I shoot league trap spring, summer and into the fall. I love it.

sporting clays

I shot a course up in Land O Lakes, WI at the Gateway lodge a couple years ago and I might as well have been using a sling shot and saved the shells. Geez was it tough. Fun though!

shooting

ya need to shoot those super fast # 7.5's i use for pheasants, they go where you're thinking, works really well. only problem with them would by slowing down your swing if you where hunting quail in calif.

Went today with my daughter and shot a round. Been 15 years since I have done that and boy was I humbled! Used to shoot them quite a bit and don't ever remember shooting this bad!

But, we had a ton of fun! I'd forgotten how much fun it is!

Anyone else shoot clays?

Duck, did you happen to notice anything different as far as the course you shot yesterday as apposed to what you shot 15 years ago?

Depending on the club you visited I would be willing to bet that the use of automatic traps throughout the course may be the biggest change.... sometimes a couple at each station. Target variety is greatly increased compared to the old days of one single manual trap.

There are probably still a few small clubs that are still using the manual traps with trappers but the majority of established clubs are using automatics throughout the course. They eliminate having to have a lot of labor (trappers) at the course and pay for themselves in no time.

Glad you and your daughter had a good time. We need to introduce more youth to the shooting sports otherwise it's a dying sport.

It had been such a long time since I had shot there I really don't remember the layout of the course. I do know that now it is all automated with push button controllers which when by yourself could be a challenge in itself.

I've seen those automated systems as well. The way they work if I remember correctly is you are given a key and at each station is a controller. You decide what sequence of targets you want (singles, report pairs, doubles etc.) and when you push start it will start the sequence with a 4 second delay in between each set. When your finished you remove the key and on to the next station etc.. Comes in handy if you want to shoot a round by yourself.

It will also keep track of how many targets you have released, so those that think they can take extra targets without paying will not be able to do so. I have only seen 1 club here in Minnesota that has this setup and most clubs expect you to be on the honor system.

I don't believe you could set the sequence on these. You either did the right or left one or did a delay, one of each by waiting to push the button on the controller.

Great fun though! Next weekend were hitting up another course.

I shoot about once every week, really enjoy it. Wish I could say my scores were climbing quickly but can't but can say that this year they have gone from the mid 60s to the high 70s to the low 80s.

Better than me! I shot 20/50 yesterday! But, I was shooting my 20ga beater O/U brush buster gun.

I'm thinking I am going to be in the market for a new Browning pretty soon. It's addictive. I only have to travel 15 minutes to shoot so I could go before work on discount Friday!

duckn66,
you know I wouldn't be upset with a score of 20/50, the range I shoot at has not changed the course for ever it seems and I pretty much know where the bird is coming from so with time it is not hard to get where you are hitting most. As regards to the Browning, Browning are the shotgun of choice for ME, I know there are several nice guns out there I just like Brownings, so guys don't start giving me heck :)if you do not agree, like I said it is the gun I like. Just keep giving it heck. You know it would be nice if a group of us could get together to shoot some clays together somewhere, than meet for lunch and make excuses for missing.:) :cheers:

1/2 price Friday??? NE Kansas??? Automatic traps??? You must be talking about Cokeley's right?:D

I like that place. Unless it has changed, it used to be 1/2 price on Sundays also. But c'mon, man, you gotta shoot 100!:D

I shoot sporting clays, 5 stand, and skeet. Powder Creek changes the course weekly and it will humble you. We will shoot a round of skeet at lunch some days. Skeet will help you remember to keep swinging the gun.

Yeah Toad it's Cokelys. He didn't say 1/2 price he just said "discount" Fridays and Sundays.

I'm headed up Friday AND Sunday. :D

LOL We used to shoot a hundy about everytime. I had my young one with me and didn't want her to get too bored.

shotguns

it is really hard today to find a gun that doesn't shoot where ya point it, heck, even my 14 ga. does that and it was made about 1840. also, i can't believe that o' john b. was any smarter when it came to that them most of the other guy's that made guns. if you like the gun, it does help just a little bit, then again, you need faster 7.5's

cheers

where is cokeleys located at, you might ask him if he would do a deal for a group of guys who came to shoot and do they provide lunch. Perhaps if enough guys were interested we could get together. Just a thought.

Cokelys is North and a little west of Topeka (NE KS). I would bet if I talked to him he would cut a deal for a large group, depending maybe on how many. I think he has BBQ grills outside so we could bring whatever we wanted and cook it right there maybe.

Heck if we did it before March we could maybe work out some sort of deal for hunts as well. Maybe some shoot clays then hunt and vice versa. That may be a little too much though.

My schedule is pretty tight for the next month or so, but I would try to make it to a Sunday shoot if somebody sets it up.

The Manhattan dove shoot was good for meeting people, and I think,,, yep, I definitely still have full boxes of shells left over from that. :laugh:

Back