Southern WI Mon 12/24 ?

UplandHntr

anyone chasing roosters tomorrow? All of my Christmas and family obligations are later in the week so I'm looking to get out tomorrow.

Yesterday, I drove around some areas west of me that got hit by the snow a few days ago, I thought it would've been cleaned up and more navigable but it was still a mess. Man o man do people drive like idiots...Never even parked the truck and got out. Stopped for a quick run with the dogs at two areas on my way home and found one wily wild rooster to my surprise. Ive never put up a wild rooster in the area - ever.
Pretty sad when a wild flush is almost considered a success.

Not sure where to try tomorrow. We have about 4-6 inches just N of me but it goes up pretty quick as ones travels west.

Merry Christmas Fellas!

I'm heading out in an hour or 2 and I'm sure I'll hunt tommorrow. I've hit a bit of a slump. Been seeing birds every time out but mostly hens....Haven't had the chance to get out in the snow yet so maybe my luck will change.

Over here in Rock county we didn't get but 4 or 5 inches at most but not far away they got 1.5+ feet!!! Rock county wild bird hunting has a lot to be desired though and I rarely chase wild birds here.

I was pleased to be able to get out of the shed yesterday. The road to town finally got cleared, well...one lane, anyway. Apparently, it is luck of the draw or negotiation whether you meet someone coming from the other direction. Some one has to back up. :)

Friday I got mail!

Not going to be much hunting, of anything. Even the holiday 10-day deer season won't draw many folks out.

Be safe, let someone know where you are going and when you will be back, and charge your cell phone, if you have one.

:)

late season

We flushed one at Rome Pond on Saturday but missed. I walked for 2 hours and really didn't see many tracks. Hit Jefferson Marsh yesterday and didn't see a thing. No birds few tracks. Great workout though walking through the snow. I tried some dog boots on Stella to keep the snow out of her paws but that was a miserable failure. She kept kicking them off. I need to find some better ones. I think the public areas around here have been picked pretty clean.

anyone chasing roosters tomorrow? All of my Christmas and family obligations are later in the week so I'm looking to get out tomorrow.

I got out yesterday in Wisconsin. Been visiting family up there for the past few days, so I figured I'd pheasant hunt too:thumbsup:

I hit the snow covered cattails and giant rag-weed. Thick stuff.:eek: Lot's of hen tracks. Flushed 6-7 wild hens. Strong flyers!

Not one rooster. I know there's roosters though. The area is too big and way too thick for roosters to be picked off. I think they've found a safe zone for themselves:rolleyes:

I hit the snow covered cattails and giant rag-weed. Thick stuff.:eek: Lot's of hen tracks. Flushed 6-7 wild hens. Strong flyers!

Not one rooster. I know there's roosters though. The area is too big and way too thick for roosters to be picked off. I think they've found a safe zone for themselves:rolleyes:

Welcome to my world! My slump I wrote about above is broke though. :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!

Im getting it handed to me pretty good this year. Will be out Saturday somewhere to close out 2012.

This has been an off year for me too Upland. Besides SD, I've hunted birds in IL and Wis. 3 times all season! Another couple of months things should slow down a bit. Back to taking pheasant photos I suppose.:rolleyes:

Can't say I hadn't had my chances at roosters though. Just not in the right place at the right time. It seems every time a rooster flushed I was shooting through 10 foot willows whips.

Heck, I had an old bird flush last weekend (south and west of us). Oh man what a beauty!!!

I fired my gun at him and fell backward!!! LOL Never had that happen to me before.:confused: I think I was trying to turn on the back of my heel and shoot at the same time. Fell right over!

Tried to get on my knees to fire another shot or two at him but then my legs cramped up so bad I couldn't move.:eek: Looking back on it I can't help but to laugh at myself. It was the comical shot of my life.

Still nice to see wild birds though. Hen's or roosters, shot or not shot, it's just nice to see those rockets fly:cheers:

This year was a lot different then the past couple. I had my new dog out and did ok but not as well as normal.

A lab pointer mix its actually a lab mix with a Visla. She put up 10 borde this season. She just Turner a usar ole in Dec.

Where I like to hunt and places I would like to try next year.

I don' like to hunt bong just because every time I have went there was way to many people. I like to hunt Tichigan, Thresea, Jackson, Allenton and then some private lands. I would like to try places like Rome pond, New Munster, Honey Creek,

I've heard some good things about Rome but haven't hunted it. Honey creek is wet and doesn't get that many birds. Try Scuppernong west of Eagle. It's huge with a variety of cover and gets a fair amount of birds.

Back