South Dakota Pheasant Propaganda

UGUIDE

Anybody else get this email?

"Despite news of a lower brood count survey that showed a decrease in the statewide pheasants-per-mile index, there are many positives when it comes to pheasant hunting in South Dakota.

South Dakota is home to the greatest pheasant hunting opportunities in the country, if not the world. Each year, thousands of hunters flock to the state to walk the fields with their family as well as friends both two-legged and four-legged. Communities across the state literally roll out the orange carpet for hunters to make them feel welcomed.

A recent editorial in the Aberdeen American News referenced a 2014 Department of Game, Fish and Parks survey of resident and non-resident hunters where pheasant hunters stated that “time spent with friends and family” and “the overall outdoor experience” were the top reasons why they chose to hunt in South Dakota.

Pheasant hunting isn’t just about hunting in South Dakota. Pheasant hunting is a way of life, an economic driver and a livelihood. Most importantly it’s a deep-rooted tradition that has spanned generations.

Here are some talking points to keep top of mind as pheasant hunting season begins:
• According to data from the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, more than 1 million pheasants have been harvested from the fields of South Dakota in each of the last three years despite varying brood count reports.
• The average annual pheasant population in South Dakota over the last 20 years has been 7.4 million birds.
• Over the last 20 years, each hunter has walked away with 9.5 birds per hunter, per year.
• South Dakota has more than 1.25 million acres of public hunting land, 400,000 of which is located within the core pheasant range of the state.
We have also created an infographic that gives you a quick glance at the state of pheasant hunting in South Dakota:"

http://sdvisit.com/emails/2017/pdfs/2017_PheasantInfographic_final.pdf

Appears to have failed to mention the 700,000 pheasants trucked into SD that are unaccounted for...

"Best to remain silent and risk being thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Have you ever been to one of his camps?

I have seen that pdf graphic on twitter, they are definitely trying hard to get an upbeat note to this season.

It will work. I have a few people I work with that seem pretty unaware, don't keep up on what happens as far as brood counts and nesting - and figure birds will be there just like every other. Those are the hunters that will fall for that kind of propaganda.

I like how they go back 20 years for the stats that fit their bill - lol

David0311

"Best to remain silent and risk being thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Have you ever been to one of his camps?

Please--take to heart your first sentence--though rather trite and unimaginative--it should be your motto for your future posts-

And yes I've been to at least five of his camps--first class operations--and no planted birds-

Please--take to heart your first sentence--though rather trite and unimaginative--it should be your motto for your future posts-

And yes I've been to at least five of his camps--first class operations--and no planted birds-

Was in response to NastyG. Not you. Yeah, quote might be overused, but I like it.

What do you expect the state to say and do? It's all about economics so with all the bad news they have to try and spread some good news somehow. Same with Uguide. Can't expect him to paint a doom and gloom picture when his livelihood depends on it.

I have a friend who is an ardent pheasant hunter who is from South Dakota. He has told me that he can find NOTHING to show the State of South Dakota releases any pheasants. Not saying private individuals don't.

I have a friend who is an ardent pheasant hunter who is from South Dakota. He has told me that he can find NOTHING to show the State of South Dakota releases any pheasants. Not saying private individuals don't.

We've been down this road before, several times. But you are 100% correct, the State of SD does not releases any birds. The mention of 700,000 birds (I have no idea where this number came from) being trucked into the state has to be referring to preserves and private individuals stocking birds.

Can't believe this State stocking myth re-appears every season.

Common-- We know they are delivered in mass by UFO's and distributed by black helicopters flown by abdominal snow men wearing tin foil hats-

I saw it on the internet--so it has to be true:rolleyes:

I know they don't release them, but I have shot pen raised birds on public land before. It really pisses the pay hunters off when the public land is right next to their thousands of dollars hunting outfit and they miss and you stand in the field next to them and pass shoot the birds. Also at sundown have had them come off the crops used at a preserve and into public ground to roost.

Kuyper believes the number may be much higher than GF&P estimates. He believes as many as 1.2 million birds are sold in South Dakota each year, based on estimates of approximately 10 other pheasant farms in South Dakota and major exporters from other states.

According to Todd Tedrow, with the South Dakota Animal Industry Board, 390,166 pheasants and pheasant-hatching eggs were imported into South Dakota from July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2016.

Add that total to the GF&P count, and more than one million game birds were sold in South Dakota. But Tedrow expects some or all of those birds have already been counted in the 623,000 birds sold by licensed breeders.

I am guessing that some of those birds also end up being counted( by SDGF) in the Overall bag limit per hunter? Either way it is still better hunting there than where I live. SD bad years are better than Colorado's good years!

I am guessing that some of those birds also end up being counted( by SDGF) in the Overall bag limit per hunter? Either way it is still better hunting there than where I live. SD bad years are better than Colorado's good years!

There's data that would suggest this. We can see declining bird numbers over years but per hunter harvest is not reflecting that decline like it might. Harvest has been close to 2 per person for last 10 years.

Back