South dakota (and north) roadside survey.

Bob Peters

I know the state canceled the official report. I'm here to tell you with my own words derived from what I've seen with my own eyes the last few days. The dakota territories are littered with birds. Morning? Yep, they're all over, high noon? I almost smoked a hen with the bumper, a few hours later a rooster. Both times I jammed the brakes and the birds were unscathed. Don't listen to the weather nazi's proclaiming cold rains and flooded nests. These birds have amazed me where they've shown up, and shown up big. Ag fields, there's more birds then I've ever seen in my life. Then as I like to cruise the backroads I'd see more birds in hayfields than I've seen in MN eyeballing for the last 3
months. I was honestly on sensory overload. I would go hunting regardless of conditions, but I can definitely say this year will be above average.

Attachments

• Compress_20240924_224515_5995.jpg
    Compress_20240924_224515_5995.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Compress_20240924_224516_6177.jpg
    Compress_20240924_224516_6177.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Compress_20240924_224515_5427.jpg
    Compress_20240924_224515_5427.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Boots on the ground is always a better scouting mission than an online report, or lack thereof.

Especially if its in the immediate area you intend to hunt. It'll only get better as there's less places to hide too, like a sea of standing corn.

Last edited:
I know the state canceled the official report. I'm here to tell you with my own words derived from what I've seen with my own eyes the last few days. The dakota territories are littered with birds. Morning? Yep, they're all over, high noon? I almost smoked a hen with the bumper, a few hours later a rooster. Both times I jammed the brakes and the birds were unscathed. Don't listen to the weather nazi's proclaiming cold rains and flooded nests. These birds have amazed me where they've shown up, and shown up big. Ag fields, there's more birds then I've ever seen in my life. Then as I like to cruise the backroads I'd see more birds in hayfields than I've seen in MN eyeballing for the last 3
months. I was honestly on sensory overload. I would go hunting regardless of conditions, but I can definitely say this year will be above average.
What was the general area you scouted?

I'd like to give my observations from the area around Watertown. At least once a week I ride motorcycle with some friends and we generally cover an area of approximately a 50 mile radius of Watertown. We ride on almost exclusively county roads and stay off main highways. Leaving around 9:00 AM and returning early afternoon. We usually put on 150-200 miles. This past month I have been lucky to see 1 pheasant per ride. Now I know that the area around Watertown has not been the pheasant hotbed it once was. I've lived here 13 years and the numbers have been dismal in the area the entire time. I'm sure there are areas of the state showing good numbers, but not here.

From what ive heard, central part is amazing this year for numbers. I think it’s gonna depend on rain totals everywhere had around June 20-22. Some areas were insanely high, well over a foot.

I’ve got a friend in sd who’s a state wildlife biologist and has a littermate to one of my dogs. His words “make two trips if you can this year.”

Back