Snow!

Chestle

Well if I shot an auto or pump and didn’t shoot an O/U I’d have been done at the first point by the little girl. Doubled after she pointed 3 young cocks in a grassy slough. Nice retrieves by both yellow girls. Happy days. Limited a short while later. She’s a DoubleTT/Haynes Floyd Lab. Hope the test of you are having fun too!

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I don’t mind you asking

However I really don’t talk much about location. Hope you understand.

when I was younger I hunted a lot around a reservoir in Kansas. Great area until it got discussed in the big city newspapers and a national magazine. It declined rapidly and never really recovered in 40 years

I’m sure u can check the weather reports and get a general idea

This weather really changed quick. Just last week I was thinking the tempatures would be a problem for the dog...not worried about it now! Looks like you are bundled-up, snow and cold....good pheasant hunting conditions....well, not so much while it is snowing, but it sure beats rain though!!! You received more than a dusting. Well done, thanks for sharing. We still have a week before the Iowa opener, so my fun will be here soon!

Well if I shot an auto or pump and didn’t shoot an O/U I’d have been done at the first point by the little girl. Doubled after she pointed 3 young cocks in a grassy slough. Nice retrieves by both yellow girls. Happy days. Limited a short while later. She’s a DoubleTT/Haynes Floyd Lab. Hope the test of you are having fun too!
Sounds like you're having fun, John. How's the driving? gravel roads?

Jon. Gravel was just ok. Still kind of mushy yesterday. One of ours slid off and luckily I got him out with my 2 tow straps. Needed the length of two. Forget the dirt roads. Not usable at all

mostly hunted our home place. 3 limits.

high today is about 22. Going to have to watch the dogs. Years ago in NE on a colder day a friends Brittany got frost bitten teats. Not good.

Roads will be better today. It’s getting solid

Jon. Gravel was just ok. Still kind of mushy yesterday. One of ours slid off and luckily I got him out with my 2 tow straps. Needed the length of two. Forget the dirt roads. Not usable at all

mostly hunted our home place. 3 limits.

high today is about 22. Going to have to watch the dogs. Years ago in NE on a colder day a friends Brittany got frost bitten teats. Not good.

Roads will be better today. It’s getting solid
John:
Are you noticing a significant change in the bird population at your "home place"? Perhaps too early to tell...sounds like limits thus far!

Yes indeed. But last year was the absolute worst in 15 years.
Yesterday all but one were this years birds So a good rebound on the hatch.

we think because so much of the crops were in all winter for one thing
Do you stay at a farm or lodge? Glad there appears to be a good hatch!

Old farm house REALLY old 😁
Several years ago, friends of mine from our church formed a hunting group and stayed at a farm - $50 to stay and $50 to hunt. Cooked our own meals and had a grand time of it. Some moved away, one fellow died and the farmer decided to make it a preserve; that ended things! I sort of managed the whole affair, which became a struggle trying to make everyone happy!

...had a Dakota farmer come to my rescue on my first day, offered his huge garage to park my camper out of the weather, allowed me to hunt his farm, really changed the game for me,...coulda survived but it wouldn't have been fun... no paying him back order than to sweep the garage floor.... looking forward to the next week...

Well, within two days we have gone from October conditions to December conditions! Almost a foot of snow with 20-30 mph winds in a large swath of the state north of Pierre. We almost went home, but decided to stick it out. Birds are in THICK COVER!!! No grass available, all covered with snow. Lots of birds....but you gotta find them!! We hunted kochia along corn. Roads a day ago were a disaster. Truck can barely roll it has so much mud and ice on it!! But record low temps are freezing the roads which is a good thing. It is not pretty out there. When this snow melts in a couple of weeks it will be a mess, at least that is my opinion. Farmers will need to wait till December for ground to freeze and enough wind to blow snow off of sunflowers and corn. There is actually a fair amount of crops harvested--I would estimate 50-75%, but the remaining corn and sunflowers is like a huge refuge for birds to hang out. Plus it has food in it. We are setting record low temps for the low temps as well as for the low high temps!!
In several fields we have seen 100+ birds...like I said, it is December conditions. We shot many yoy birds, so there ae plenty out there. My personal opinion is 20-50% more birds than last year, but they are bunched up. Big fields with lots of cover and nearby food are the recipe for success. And bring your warm clothes!

Friday was poor for us. Sunny but cold. Worked sloughs mostly and a bit of corn. Roads sucked, even gravel was soft. Birds were buried under snow in deep cover. We put up quite a few hens but not many cocks. 3 of us totaled 4. Admittedly shooting was not up to our normal. By my count we should have had 4 more. Still we just didn’t see many roosters.

What a change a day makes. We three had just started in to a private food/cover plot when our lone blocker got to the other end 500 yards away. He flushed 30 pheasant our way and they landed in the plot in front of us. We had a fourth gun today. All limited in 30 minutes. Short but very memorable day. Great “finds” by the dogs and great retrieves. Much better shooting too. No cripples for the dogs to chase down. Just straight retrieves. Birds held very well. A day for the memory book. Doesn’t happen like that very often

Wrapped up the 10 day stretch on Saturday. Definitely a different year. We did well the first 5 days, the second 5 were tough going. Had 4 shooters for half of it, 3 for the rest. One of our party though is an extremely limited blocker that has survived several serious health situations. He rarely hunts more than a few fields. He's our friend though and as long as it wants to do it, we'll support him fully.

Anyway, we dealt with LOTS of snow. Birds were down under in heavy cover. Each of the 4 dogs at one time or another pulled a bird or two out of deeply buried cover and retrieved to hand; a couple were hens unfortunately. Hens are so fragile. I did have my girl hand me one that I launched and she flew away looking quite healthy.

Shooting was pretty good by the party; not many shootable roosters flew away. I didn't track exactly but I think I was around ~80ish % on my shots. Of course, with the weather a lot of them held tight for the dog and gave me easy shots. I even got a double this trip. When the wind got up to 45 though it was a bit of a different story.

We did not limit every day but were pretty close on the days we did not. Where we were, the corn was still standing and in large plots. I think a lot of the birds were in there pretty deep and hunkered down. We tried pushing and also edging some corn with two walkers/two blockers. Not much luck. I think the heavy snow made quite a difference. We found most of our birds hunkered down in deep cover; cattail sloughs and heavy weedy sloughs. You could see the scratched out patches in the bean fields where they were eating; the sloughs near those were pretty good.

The roads were ok the first few days but deteriorated. Stuck to gravel almost exclusively. The last few days with the mud were really bad, even on gravel. I pulled one guy out of a ditch on a heavy snow day. I pulled another guy out that high centered in deep snow on a deep rut old driveway. Then I backed a tiny bit too far on that pull and got my rears on the downside edge past the crown and I couldn't get it back up. He pulled me back up! Fair play!

All in all, certainly not our best year for bird numbers by far. Also not our worst by far. I'd have to call it a bit under average on bird numbers.

Still a great trip. The old house held together although we did lose one day of hunting when the pipes froze up on the 2 degree night. A couple of runs to town for parts, heater tapes, insulation, etc. We finally got water back working that night. As usual, great meals throughout. Pheasant Picatta, Pheasant Parmigiana, Grilled deer backstrap, grilled elk sirloin...we all probably gained weight despite the walking all day.

I hope we can all do it one more time next year. Thanks South Dakota!

I'll post a few pictures from the phone. Sorry, no geotags.

Dare global warming! Sounds like we will be closer to normal temps in a week.
I'm not sure what you mean by this but global warming doesn't mean it won't get cold... It actually is the opposite. As the world warms up, we will see larger weather fluctuations including possibly seeing colder winter conditions at times. The world goes through cycles which is natural (little ice age, etc) and currently the world is warming (with a little help from us no doubt).

This is not to say every weather fluctuation is due to warming but I've seen a few comments around here mentioning global warming when discussing cold weather so I just wanted to throw this out there just so everyone is informed (not saying you aren't).

Back