Snakes

Bob

With the warm fall weather the prairie rattlers are still out so be careful.

I was in Lyman County a few weeks ago and while standing in some tall grass next to the road while looking at some land that was for sale I noticed a movement and realized a prairie rattler was crawling over my boots. It became one of those religious moments as I talked to God real quick. He listened, I survived and the snake as well as he got
back into to the tall grass as I had no way to kill him. When he came on to the road he became real
nervous and he escaped back into the tall grass.

Good luck on your hunting but be aware.

I wear high snake boots until it cools down, but I really dread my dog getting bitten by a Rattler. I plan to introduce her to an ornery bull snake or something so as to put her off tangling with them.

Holy smokes! I think I woulda needed to change out my underwear after that!

I walked most of the day here in KS Saturday in the Smokey Hills chicken hunting and never spotted one snake.

I wear high snake boots until it cools down, but I really dread my dog getting bitten by a Rattler. I plan to introduce her to an ornery bull snake or something so as to put her off tangling with them.

That tactic has worked well with my dogs in the past.:cheers:

Talked to a friend West of Pierre today and they saw several snakes today around a prairie dog town. Also said guys down the road Sunday caught 20 or more after shooting their birds. Should keep it interesting!

Holy smokes! I think I woulda needed to change out my underwear after that!

I walked most of the day here in KS Saturday in the Smokey Hills chicken hunting and never spotted one snake.

A couple days ago my hired hand came across fifteen snakes during a couple hours that afternoon. Fortunately, only two were rattlesnakes.

Second week of season we shot about 12 rattle snakes after getting our birds. We walked the prairie dog towns and found them there. Great afternoon fun without the dogs of course! Only a couple over 4' the rest were 2' or so.

Back