Should there be standards set for land use?

Quick answer is NO. Do not mess with landowner freedoms.

Here is a statement in article that is flawed:

“Thirty years of investment of taxpayers’ dollars have been lost,”

Hey, if the contract was for 15 years and I'm sure it was in for that long then they got what they paid for.

Seems to be an illusion that if they signed it up for 15 years they were going to treat it like a perpetual easement?

This is a classic case of media spin to get the taxpayer thinking they got jipped.

They love to use words like "loss" instead of "expired". The contract end date was always known. There is nothing lost about it.

All I'm saying is, I think that when plowing from fence to fence effectively eliminates numerous species of wildlife. Just maybe something needs to be done. Complete dominating of ones land IMO, isn't good for any of us in the future. It will come back to haunt us in more ways then we care to discuss. The saying goes something like. We are only using the land until we are gone. Then the good Lord would like it back. Until then, we need to take care of it.

This is what happens when people don't do what they know is right. Then the government has to step in and make mandatory what very easily could and should have been voluntary and it was. Simple, just do what is right and big brother will mind his own business.

I commend many on here that are doing just that. It's the few bad apples who cause these regulations being forced on all others.

Onpoint

Last edited:
I hate to see the reduction of CRP acres and wish it had more resilience in the face of market forces. But its standards were set when prices were lower and now support for the program is waning. Pheasants Forever might be able to step its habitat development program so there are low-acre shelter belts put in place of big acre CRP fields.

Short answer no I don't think someone should be told how to use their land unless it is affecting other peoples lives.

*"The land ethic simply enlarges the boundaries of the community to include soils, waters, plants, and animals, or collectively: the land...[A] land ethic changes the role of Homo sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such." - Aldo Leopold

We aren't conqueors of this land we are just another plain citizen of it.

We've been fighting to restore the San Joaquin rivers flows to the ocean (and fall run salmon) but the farmers say there's not enough water, that the Valley is a desert. A desert? Before the valleys water was damned this valley was a marsh fed by 4 different watersheds and we had the biggest lake west of the Mississippi, some desert it was.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We get the farmers mantra, "Let property alone, it's their good give right to do what they want." Like all government issues, you take the money, you are servants of what 'the man" wants. Do you get subsidy? crop insurance? I you right superior to health of the land and health of the people. Not just you, attrazine, roundup, erosion, go down stream and create misfortune to lots of people. I take the same standards with farming, as I due with mining, heavy industry, paper manufacturers. Make it a neutral enterprise. Of course you can't make a whole lot of money doing that, and nobody has made you. Besides which Chris, you and a lot of these guys, your ground would be on the high end of compliance no matter what! I everybody was forced to do it, it might make your ground, more expensive, your crop might be more expensive, because all these others would have to do it right, or be out of business.

This is a tough issue. I am a staunch suppoter of proprty rights. However when I see land abused year after year and watch the soil blow and am leary of driving on the hiway when there is blowing snow because you know when you get to a certain farmers land there will be worse visibilty and more danger, it makes even me think there has to be a better way. I do not have the answer other than education and some can not or will not be educated. Government trying to force the issue is the last thing we need and would be the worst possible solution. When I was a kid the gov. made us have summer fallow and it had to be black irregardless of the erosion. Goverment regulation regardless of the good intentions, normally makes things worse. Just look at the health care bill. It has not even been fully implemented yet and it is raising the cost of health insurance. Education is our best chance.

This is a tough issue. I am a staunch suppoter of proprty rights. However when I see land abused year after year and watch the soil blow and am leary of driving on the hiway when there is blowing snow because you know when you get to a certain farmers land there will be worse visibilty and more danger, it makes even me think there has to be a better way. I do not have the answer other than education and some can not or will not be educated. Government trying to force the issue is the last thing we need and would be the worst possible solution. When I was a kid the gov. made us have summer fallow and it had to be black irregardless of the erosion. Goverment regulation regardless of the good intentions, normally makes things worse. Just look at the health care bill. It has not even been fully implemented yet and it is raising the cost of health insurance. Education is our best chance.

You are one of the "great" ones. You do it because you believe in the issue. Your outnumbered. If soil responsibilty is mandated on farmers, it applies to builders ripping up farmland for housing subdivisions, chemical abuses, suburban lawn/gardeners too, lawn maintenence on golf courses. Some of these are bigger problems that the farmer! If farming, golfing on a sea of green, a mosaic of green squares on the lawn, with fescue, the fast buck people will be gone, the homeowner will stop due to cost, the hanger-ons like chemical companies,will find some other potion they can peddle. Leave the real work to do. You know that most of the Universities were financed by farmers? Some where it got lost, the lawyers, and business interest with a little money in the right places ruined it all. Now our new farmers are taught on the sipping jug, that we need clean field crops, massive chemicals to boost up yield, use and abuse everything to be "successful". All us old guys are hopelessly out of date. Maybe. I am happy to hear a lark, listen to the wind in the cottonwoods, feel the cool breeze of a spring creek when you get close. Wonder if they will ever be happy, running ahead of a debt spiral heading down the track like a herd of elephants. Used to be people became doctors to heal the sick, now to become millionaires, farmers WERE the source of self resourcefullness, new what the ground would support, and balance it within it's capacity. I don't think a lot have had their boots in the field, these days, they "see" it on a 4wheeler, or when the get into the tractor or the pickup in the driveway, a lot haven't seen the property in years, cash the rent checks.

You are one of the "great" ones. You do it because you believe in the issue. Your outnumbered. If soil responsibilty is mandated on farmers, it applies to builders ripping up farmland for housing subdivisions, chemical abuses, suburban lawn/gardeners too, lawn maintenence on golf courses. Some of these are bigger problems that the farmer! If farming, golfing on a sea of green, a mosaic of green squares on the lawn, with fescue, the fast buck people will be gone, the homeowner will stop due to cost, the hanger-ons like chemical companies,will find some other potion they can peddle. Leave the real work to do. You know that most of the Universities were financed by farmers? Some where it got lost, the lawyers, and business interest with a little money in the right places ruined it all. Now our new farmers are taught on the sipping jug, that we need clean field crops, massive chemicals to boost up yield, use and abuse everything to be "successful". All us old guys are hopelessly out of date. Maybe. I am happy to hear a lark, listen to the wind in the cottonwoods, feel the cool breeze of a spring creek when you get close. Wonder if they will ever be happy, running ahead of a debt spiral heading down the track like a herd of elephants. Used to be people became doctors to heal the sick, now to become millionaires, farmers WERE the source of self resourcefullness, new what the ground would support, and balance it within it's capacity. I don't think a lot have had their boots in the field, these days, they "see" it on a 4wheeler, or when the get into the tractor or the pickup in the driveway, a lot haven't seen the property in years, cash the rent checks.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes I am outnumbered, but enjoy what I do and consider myself a very blessed person. I do use chemicals but try to keep it to a minimum. I would probably be money ahead if I did things differently, but you know what they say about the love of money.

Back